Kubota L-210 Steering Box

/ Kubota L-210 Steering Box #1  

BRUSHTAMERS

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740 C
My little Kubota L-210 which has worked so well the last 6 years that I've owned it, for mowing a 2 acre field at my Grandparents place with a 4' finish mower, broke it's steering gear. Have not delved too deeply into it, but steering wheel still moves lock to lock, just no turning front wheels left or right. This model tractor dates back to the early to mid seventies. I know there are a few around, but it's not like a mid 1900's Ford or J.D. as far as parts availaibility. It might be a simple weld job could put it back in the field, or not. I have gotten parts for this tractor before from W.K. Tractor Parts. Any ideas on other sources of tractor wrecking yards would be helpful. Talked to a guy yesterday that got real excited because he's looking for power for a gen set, either Kubota or Yanmar fired. What do you suppose a 21 H.P. 2 cyl is worth as a standalone? Thanks for any and all input, Dan

/ Kubota L-210 Steering Box #2  
500$ if it ran good.. maybee.

is that machine have a single sector arm, or dual sector arms.. I'm betting single.

Any idea if it is a straight worm drive or if it is a recirculating ballnut on a worm steeirng shaft, with a sector gear to drive the steering arm?

Assuming it is mechanical and not power steering.. just tear into ti. won't know what's wrong till you find out... most mechanical steering boxes on tractors are pretty simple..

if the steering shaft won't pull out of the housing and doesn't have up/down/side/side slop it's likely not a broke steering shaft.. or thrust bearings..

post back

soundguy

/ Kubota L-210 Steering Box #3  
a quick look at the usual places I get parts shows things like steering box bearings and spindle and axle bushings are available.

For hard parts like the box.. I might try a salvage yard like wengers of PA>

also perhaps try to find if the same box was used on another model.. IE.. lookup part numbers and see if they cross to other models.

heck.. a small jap compact like that might let you take something like a yanmar or other small jap compact box and retrofit it. Not like I havn't seen a homade cart with a junkyard steering box scabbed onto it before.. :)

pop the top and post back.

soundguy