Kubota L305 not starting

/ Kubota L305 not starting #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
About a 1979 L305 Kubota tractor.Been running fine.Started it the other day OK and loaded it on a trailer to take it to a brush hog job.Stalled as I got it on tractor.Started it again but did not seem right.Stalled again.Finally got it off trailer.A few days earlier I had filled the tank.So first thing I change fuel filter which was over due.Some water in filter.Bled everything but did not want to start and when it did would not idle and did not respond properly with throttle.Drained 3/4 gallon of fuel out of tank ---it was OK and clear no water.Rebled lines tractor will not start.I am stupid when it comes to diesels.Gas engines I am good with.Do I crack injector lines to see if they are pumping ? How do I check injectors ? Would some water getting into system wreck something or would I just have to keep trying to get it out.I will probably drain tank and get new fuel but like I said fuel looks OK.Any help is appreciated.

/ Kubota L305 not starting #2  
Make sure no water is in the fuel and filter is clean. Might even pay to drain it and check fuel filter to make sure you have a good start. Then you have to crack open each injector and crank engine see if fuel is coming out that injector. Do each one. This will remove any air in the lines. Do you have a glow plug, make sure it is working also. If nothing happens then it's time to expect the injector pump. See if you have to put fuel in the filter before installing it. The engines we did had to have the filter primed.

/ Kubota L305 not starting
No water in fuel,but the throttle just does not seem right when I step on it.Will only fire on ether.Took lines off at injectors and fuel drips out of lines when cranking.Bled everything up to pump and flowing free.I think I have an internal pump problem and am going to take a stab at my first diesel repair.Will make note as I take apart.I have parts manual so I can look at things.Little worried about timing pump.Have the service manual and it seems kinda straight forward.If the lines at injectors are taken off should it be a steady stream or dribble ? Wish me luck...........

/ Kubota L305 not starting #4  
What you're describing is very expensive to fix. $750 for us since we had to get a few new parts.

First check the oil dipsticks on the injector pump if it has it's own reservoir.

Some Kubota tractors do some don't. Our L260 has it's own oil reservoir.

If there is no oil then you've cooked the injector pump and it is no longer able to build up enough pressure to feed the injectors.

We did the same thing. Never checked the dipsticks on the injector pump.

Didn't even know it had them.

We ended up taking the pump off and having it rebuilt.

Make sure you mark the pump's position when you remove it.

Now would be a good time to have the injectors tested and repaired if necessary.

Ours runs great now.:) And I check the oil religiously!

/ Kubota L305 not starting
Do not notice any seperate dipstick.Gotta get out the degreaser and clean her up good before I start to dive into this.Will check on price of new injectors and then maybe take one apart and clean it.

/ Kubota L305 not starting #6  
To isolate the pump you can remove the lines from the pump to the injectors removing them on the pump end. That way you will know for sure it's the pump.

I would guess the injectors were working due to the fact it was running.

As the parts in the pump wear out the engine starts a little harded and runs poorly.

The fuel does provide some lubricant which allows the engine to keep running till it finally just stops.

We love out L260. Especially now that it runs right!:D

Good luck and post pictures of the pump.