Kubota L3600 Steering Quit

/ Kubota L3600 Steering Quit #21  
   / Kubota L3600 Steering Quit #22  
Upon reflection, it looks like the rod end came off the piston rod. Is that repairable or must the entire cylinder be replaced?

/ Kubota L3600 Steering Quit
Upon reflection, it looks like the rod end came off the piston rod. Is that repairable or must the entire cylinder be replaced?

Interesting question. The rod did not just come out of the fitting, it broke completely. You can buy just the shaft for a mere $600 then you would also need seals etc. to rebuild it.

/ Kubota L3600 Steering Quit #24  
You get it fixed yet...?

/ Kubota L3600 Steering Quit
Well to close out the thread for future reference for folks, the shaft broke at the end of the power steering piston assembly. A new shaft was $600 plus whatever a seal kit would cost plus the trouble of rebuilding it or paying someone to do it. A new assembly was $1056. It took a lot of effort but I finally found a used one, in California no less. So with 2 day shipping all tolled it was just under $500. It seems to be in good shape so fingers crossed. Thank you Corona virus stimulus for providing the cash. There goes that gun I was going to buy.

By removing the battery and the battery support plate I was able to get to the broken end and remove it. I would say it might be possible to remove the entire assembly without moving the radiator but I wasn't up to the task. I went ahead and got the radiator free and without completely removing it was able to move it around so I could work. As of this moment the new piece is completely installed! Now to put everything else back together.

For my mediocre skills this job was doable, assuming I get it back together successfully lol. Meanwhile my grass has grown considerably so I'm looking at several days straight of mowing. Thanks a lot to Pete and everyone else who assisted! I went from being clueless to zooming right in on the problem. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

Ku cylinder.jpg

/ Kubota L3600 Steering Quit #26  
Glad you got it fixed. Do those set screws in the rod eye hold the rod in? If so, I might see what it would cost to have a new rod made by a local hydraulics shop. They take standard rod blanks and machine the ends as required. If it's not too expensive, rebuild it and sell it.