Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #1  

homedad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT
I just changed my hydraulic fluid in my kubota l3130DT since I just replaced the hoses from the control valve body and also rebuilt the left bucket cylinder for about the 4th time. Just the fluid and the filter were about $500 so I don't want any more leaks. That left bucket cylinder is leaking already without even putting forks or the bucket back on. I just want to replace the whole cylinder now. I found a brand new (assuming it's not Kubota) from eparts.shop on ebay for $500. Has anyone purchased an off brand cylinder? Anything wrong with mixing an off brand with an original Kubota made cylinder? A genuine Kubota bucket cylinder is closer to $1k. Thanks.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #2  
If there is nothing wrong with the bore, piston, rod and gland on the new cylinder, like scratches, dents, dings, etc, there is no point to replace it. Just put new seals in and get going again.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #3  
My left front cylinder leaked in the first 30 hours, dealer rebuilt under warranty it at 50 hour service in 2002, and it started leaking again in 2014 again so I lived with it. Finally last year took it to a hydraulic shop and they rebuilt it (i bought seals) for $140. plus seals just under $200 total.

No leaks on mine now, but since you've already done the seals, and still leaks, I would lean to buying the one from eparts - vs rebuilding with the same results. You may have a slightly bent shaft or scoring inside the cylinder causing the leak which is not easy to fix.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #4  
I would figure out why its leaking.

The previous rebuilds....were they just seals? Who rebuilt? Were they installed correctly? Was the rod inspected for straightness and if it had any grooves in it?

Local shop here would be able to make me a new rod for ~$200 for something that sized. New seals and it should be as good as new

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement.
Thanks for the replies. I replaced all of the seals with a complete rebuild kit along with my neighbor who had 30 years as a heavy equipment mechanic. He examined everything and it didn’t leak for a couple years. This last one I did myself and there’s nothing wrong that I could find. The leak is minor but experience has taught me that any leak this soon with no weight on it will be much worse when I’m lifting logs and the fluid is hot.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #6  
Sounds like you are not having success with the rebuilds. You would be better off to have just changed out the cylinders.

To answer your original question - yes, you can mix brands of hydraulic cylinders for your bucket cylinders. They come in standard sizes, and are inexpensive enough you can buy two if you want them matched.

Lots of folks on TBN have ordered from SurplusCenter.com.
Go there, tag "hydraulics" on the left side of their home page, then choose "double acting hydraulic cylinders". You will need to match the size of cylinder, the end fittings, PSI, and the hose connection thread type.

Good luck,
rScotty

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #7  
It's a Kubota, probably metric cylinder. Probably not as easy to size and match up.

I'd take the cylinder apart again, and take some good pics of the rod and gland and gland seals and share them here

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #8  
Rebuilt cylinders typically work as good as new. Either the cylinder is damaged, it got assembled wrong or you’re doing something to eat seals. As already mentioned the Kubota cylinder is metric. There’s not much options for replacement beyond a custom build or the dealer. Neither is cheap. If you did find an identical replacement it would be fine but putting a different size cylinder on one side isn’t good.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement.
Thanks all. I didn't order the replacement yet as I still have one more seal set and figured I'd give it one more try with the new seal folding tool I bought. Maybe I mangled the first few during installation. I'll try to remember to take photos but honestly photos are typically the last thing on my mind.

/ Kubota la513 bucket cylinder replacement. #10  
Find out if there is a new part number from Kubota to see if that part has changed. On mine it did and the previous rebuild did not fix it but new cylinders did.