Kubota M120 water getting into brakes, freezing in winter, boiling in summer

/ Kubota M120 water getting into brakes, freezing in winter, boiling in summer #1  

treemuncher

Bronze Member
Tractor
treemuncher.com
I have a Kubota M120 that has been giving me fits for the past couple of years with water getting into the master cylinder and going down the lines into the main case. In summer, if there is water in the lines, it will boil and I will lose my brakes. In winter, if water is present, the brakes can freeze either in the open of closed conditions.

The system uses the regular hydraulic oil (same as system) for the brake fluid. If I bleed out the brakes, they are fine for a while but will become contaminated again after heavy rains.

Has anyone else had these problems or broken down the rear end to inspect and repair the slave cylinders that operate the brakes? All of this started after the small plastic cover over the rubber master cylinder cover went missing. I never thought that the rubber cover would pull in water....but it does.

/ Kubota M120 water getting into brakes, freezing in winter, boiling in summer #2  
I have a Kubota M120 that has been giving me fits for the past couple of years with water getting into the master cylinder and going down the lines into the main case. In summer, if there is water in the lines, it will boil and I will lose my brakes. In winter, if water is present, the brakes can freeze either in the open of closed conditions.

The system uses the regular hydraulic oil (same as system) for the brake fluid. If I bleed out the brakes, they are fine for a while but will become contaminated again after heavy rains.

Has anyone else had these problems or broken down the rear end to inspect and repair the slave cylinders that operate the brakes? All of this started after the small plastic cover over the rubber master cylinder cover went missing. I never thought that the rubber cover would pull in water....but it does.

A few photos might get you some answers

I looked on Messicks site and see two master cylinders, a lever parking brake an equalizer valve and brake cylinders for each brake.

There is a remote reservoir feeding both master cylinders.

Does this describe your tractor?

Dave M7040

Last edited: