Kubota ZG-23 Hard Start

/ Kubota ZG-23 Hard Start #1  

TruChaos

Silver Member
I have a 2007 ZG-23 (inherited) with 210 hours on the meter. I did a full service, all filters, oil, hydraulic fluid change and even replaced the one hydraulic line which is considered a service part.

The problem I'm having is that engine is quite hard to start. I've tried choke, no choke, half choke, etc. nothing seems to speed up the engine start. It takes a good 30 to 60 seconds of engine cranking to start. I do stop to let the starter cool for a bit. Once it starts it runs beautifully and if you turn it off and come back two hours later, if fires right up with no problems. It doesn't smoke or use oil. It's only after it sits for a week is it hard to start again. Almost like it loses its fuel pump prime???

I always use 93 octane fuel and I even tried 100 octane aviation fuel (100 octane gas without alcohol) but that made no difference.

It has the Kohler V twin engine.

There is one other issue which could be related. Apparently the engine has a fuel shut off solenoid so when the key is turned off, it prevents a backfire on shutdown. It does back fire one time when the key is turned off just as the engine comes to a halt.

Any suggestions??? Does this engine have a known hard starting problem?

/ Kubota ZG-23 Hard Start
The problem became increasingly worse until the engine would no longer start. Long story short, I discovered it would produce spark for about 1.5 seconds then stop sparking on both plugs. I cleaned connectors, tested switches (replaced the brake switch) swapped relays. The problem was a failing delay timer. It eventually failed completely.

Now the engine starts with a quick turn of the key and runs smoothly.

TIMER, DELAY
Item #K3211-62290
Each:$121.01