Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter /

/ Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter / #1  

maxsanders

Tractor
BX2200 l3710
Because of difficulty starting BX2200, I am now tracing wires...eventually to starter /safety switches and the like. Access to safety switches by removing wheels is ok...and I know how to get the "bonnet"/ top off of engine cover. What are the side panels called .."cowling" or what..

cant find instructions in service manual to get these off (must remove loader first I assume).

Thanks, Max

/ Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter / #2  
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the 2200 is *very* close to the 2230. You don't have to remove the loader, but is sure is a lot easier. On the 2230, you open the hood. Up by the headlights are 2 nuts right on top. The cowling has slots but I've found putting the cowling back on is just a lot easier with the nuts and washers off. Holding the washers up while you put it on is a pain. On each side about 6 inches out from the firewall is 1 bolt on each side, again, right up on top. Pull those 2 bolts and the whole thing slides forward. Putting it back on, there are 4 plastic tabs, 2 on each side to line up.

Shouldn't have to remove the hood at all for a starter issue.

/ Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter /
Can I get to the starter from under the tractor without cowling removal? Can I trace the electrical connections from battery to starter the same way?

Many thanks for the reply......Unfortunately the tractor is located in tight quarters so that I assumed cowling removal was essential..

I will pull the tractor to a more workable position. Max

/ Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter / #4  
First, removing the cowling is simple. 4 bolts and the whole engine enclosure comes off. RaydaKub explains it well. Two nuts on the front of the cowl, two bolts on each side of the top rear of the cowl. The rest is just held in place by plastic inserts. Pull the cowl forward.

Second, while not mentioning the starting problem, it may be just a bad ground. Try using jumper cables (negative side) to ground the battery to the engine block on a non-painted area. If the starting problems go away then you have your answer.

Go buy a 32" to 36" ground cable from an auto parts store. Run it through the firewall and attach it to an engine bolt. I used the "lifting eye" up near the valve cover. Also, splice in a piece of wire to extend the other thin electrical wire that is attached to the original battery ground bolt up to the lifting eye to get a good ground for it. Done.

All of my BX2200's starting problems went away after this fix.

/ Kutota bx2200 access to trace electrical past firewall towards starter / #5  
On my BX2200 the starter issue was resistance building up in the wires from all the safety switches. The best solution was to install a $22 relay that bypassed the control wire and put 12v to the solenoid. Works like a charm and no more starter issues.

Hope that is your problem because Kubota seems to be incredibly proud of those starters to replace one.