L235- 4wd Problem

/ L235- 4wd Problem #1  

jdeere5205

I was getting ready to dig potatoes yesterday with my 1983 L235 and when I tried to engage the 4wd it made a loud grinding noise and would not engage, I am wondering if anyone may have any knowledge of what went wrong, this is a problem for me as we farm very rocky land with a lot of hills. So for the time being I am digging with one of my 5205 John Deere's as the Kubota will not dig in 2wd nor will the John Deere and I am afraid that if I hit a rock with the digger, the tractor will bend the frame and my new digger that I made will be useless.

Any help is appreciated.
- Jamie

5205 John Deere w/521 Loader, 5205 John Deere w/522 Loader, L235 Kubota w/ 90 loader, Kioti Dk65c w/ Kl 1730 loader

/ L235- 4wd Problem #2  
Have you tried the typical rolling forward a few feet and trying again? Back up a few feet and try again? Turn front wheels from side to side a few times, etc? Take it out of gear and try again?

/ L235- 4wd Problem
Yes I have tried all of that, today I got a chance to put in in the garage and take the front end apart, there was a an inside splined coupling that connects to the shaft for the 4wd that connects into the transfer case, it was stripped very badly, it was almost rounded, quite a bit of work to get at it but only a simple repair.

/ L235- 4wd Problem #4  
Glad you figured it out. You know we love to see pictures of all that kind of stuff!