L2550 starts but won't run

/ L2550 starts but won't run #1  

IanM

Tractor
Kubota L2550GST
My 1993 L2550 GST with1200 hours suddenly won't run. The engine cranks nicely, it runs for a second or two, and then quits. This has never happened before and I bought the tractor new. I recently replaced the fuel filter and it ran fine for several days afterwards. The battery is strong and I have cleaned the terminals. I have a feeling the problem is electrical. When it was running I noticed the temp gauge stopped working and when I turned the engine off it wouldn't start. Tomorrow I'm going to check the ground connection on the block. I've tried to bleed the fuel lines by following the instructions in the Kubota workshop manual but no luck. I opened the air vent cock and the engine turns over nicely but won't start. Any ideas on what I should try next? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's been a wet spring here and I need to mow my vineyard soon.
Thanks,
Ian

/ L2550 starts but won't run #2  
If the engine starts and runs for a second, it may not be electrical. If there was an electrical problem it either wouldn't turn over, or wouldn't start at all. Starting, then quickly dying is usually a fuel problem.

What do you mean you tried to bleed the fuel lines following the manual, but had no luck? No luck what? I'd replace the filter again, because it ran for a few days after the last filter switch. You could have gotten contaminated fuel, and that can plug up several filters in a row without much trouble. I'd open a fuel line leaving the fuel filter and see if you get good flow. If not, work backwards towards the tank.

/ L2550 starts but won't run
I checked the fuel filter and it's perfectly clean. No dirt or sign of water. I checked the fuel lines and they are all open and clean. Fuel flows to the fuel transfer pump and it pumps fuel in squirts when the engine is cranked. However, nothing comes out of the injection pump when the engine is turned over so it looks like that is the problem. Anyone replaced one of those? I'm wondering if it is something a shade tree mechanic can do or is it time to call in a mechanic.
Thanks.

/ L2550 starts but won't run #4  
Sounds like the fuel shutdown solenoid isn't opening and allowing fuel to the pump.
You should be able to un-hook the linkage and move the arm to allow fuel to flow