L2850 will not keep running

/ L2850 will not keep running #1  

banjerpicker

My L2850 will not keep running unless I pre heat before starting. This is now happening even when it is 70 degrees outside. I changed the fuel filter and put solution in the fuel to eliminate the water. Any other ideas you might have to try?Thanks, Larry

/ L2850 will not keep running #2  
Not sure if your model has it, but many Kubotas have a separate pump to transfer fuel from the tank to the main diesel pump. The ones I've seen are a lever-operated diaphragm-type pump. If it develops a small internal leak, it might act like you are describing - getting gradually worse until it isn't pushing much fuel. Does the tractor run better if the tank is full? That would point to the transfer pump too. As always - prompt cheerful refund if info is bilge. Dick B

/ L2850 will not keep running
I checked the flow of fuel from my tank which is good and replaced the fuel transfer pump, bleed the fuel line and it still does the same thing. Any more ideas??? Thanks

/ L2850 will not keep running #4  
I don't understand the problem, so your tractor won't start without the preheat? My L2350 won't either, regardless of the temp.

Does it not keep running once it starts? Normally that is a fuel supply problem.

Try checking the fuel deliver at the injectors, loosen the banjo fittings and check for sufficent fuel at the injectors.

I have always been able to start my 2850 without pre heating for the last 14 years as long as the temp was above 40 degrees. However recently, it will not keep running for over 5 seconds unless I preheat it regardless of the tempature. Plus after it is running for even two minutes or even an hour it will just stop.(Must be preheated in both cases to restart). I have noticed it sorta "gasping" to run even at an idle. I changed the fuel filter, added fuel to fill the tank, added stuff to reduce the water and changed the fuel transfer pump. Still does the same thing. Could I still have water in the fuel? I plan on draining all the fuel and replacing the fuel filter again today. Thanks for your advice

/ L2850 will not keep running #6  
I don't know what to tell you regarding the preheat unless it's just showing its age a bit, like I said I always preheat our L2350.

The gasping and dieing sounds like fuel starvation, I had to take the fuel tank off and rinse and dump it several times to get all the junk out of ours. Somebody who owned it before had let a leaf or two get in as well as a cap similar to what would come off a quart of oil.

Next time it dies you might take the fuel filter off and see if fuel drains out...if it doesn't, the tank may have something blocking the output.

/ L2850 will not keep running #7  
I have had the 3-cyl version of that tractor (L2550) and I have
never had or seen a tractor that starts as easily. That said, I
will bet that your fuel tank has a couple of inches of diesel bacterial sludge on the bottom. Seen it before.

Hey Guys.... so much for the fuel problem. I had done all I could so I had it sent into the dealer. Found a bad key switch which would not allow it to pre heat and a short at the battery terminal that was shutting off the fuel supply when it grounded out. A new key switch and two battery cables and I am running as good as before. I can start without Preheat and I have ran it for about four hours without a problem.

Hey Guys.... so much for the fuel problem. I had done all I could so I had it sent into the dealer. Found a bad key switch which would not allow it to pre heat and a short at the battery terminal that was shutting off the fuel supply when it grounded out. A new key switch and two battery cables and I am running as good as before. I can start without Preheat and I have ran it for about four hours without a problem.