L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
9 years ago i sold a friend my L3130 when i go the 5240 w/cab. I warned him that I thought the PTO clutch was slipping a bit based on what i saw when using my logging winch. He wasn't too worried about it. Fast forward to now and after several years of him using a chipper on it, the clutch has apparently fried. He called a local dealer and they said it would be in the $5k ballpark. I assume this means the tractor needs to be split. He has decided that he will just use a stand alone chipper and ignore the PTO but a couple questions.
1. Do you have to split the tractor for this?
2. Any idea on parts cost? Complexity of repair?
3. Any risk to just ignoring it and not using the PTO anymore?

Thanks,
Dave

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #2  
$5K is absurd. How many hours on it ? If I were him (and needed solid PTO operations which most do) I would find a good used replacement tractor which would not have to be an L3130. Use this as an opportunity to get a better machine. Chances are good he can sell the L3130 at a reduced price and still buy a replacement for $5K more than what he gets out of it.
Meanwhile, are there general tractor repair shops aside from Kubota dealers there? Probably. You may well find one ready and able to do that job for far less money. Also, call a few tractor salvage yard /dismantling places and see if you can't find a PTO clutch used if the 'new' price is too bad. Not sure why a PTO clutch would be a common wear-it-out item to begin with.

Wengers of Myerstown in PA ( one of the larger salvage yards for tractors in the East) are currently showing a PTO clutch assembly for the L3130 priced at $400 used. Even with shipping and say $1000 worth of labor to do the replacement job you are a heck of a long ways from $5,000.

https://www.wengers.com/partsearch/...9703&wm_model=29637&wm_part_application=29037

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #3  
9 years ago i sold a friend my L3130 when i go the 5240 w/cab. I warned him that I thought the PTO clutch was slipping a bit based on what i saw when using my logging winch. He wasn't too worried about it. Fast forward to now and after several years of him using a chipper on it, the clutch has apparently fried. He called a local dealer and they said it would be in the $5k ballpark. I assume this means the tractor needs to be split. He has decided that he will just use a stand alone chipper and ignore the PTO but a couple questions.
1. Do you have to split the tractor for this?

Yes
2. Any idea on parts cost? Complexity of repair?
Not complex but not accessable either. If you remove the pto cover on the backside of the tractor, you can see the pto clutch pack but it's in front of the rear differential and axles and the only way to access it is a split, Has to come out from the front.
3. Any risk to just ignoring it and not using the PTO anymore?

Thanks,
Dave
Have you tried to adjust the clamping pressure on the pack? It is externally adjustable on the side of the gearbox, under the seat. I suggest you go to www.kubotabooks.com and download the appropriate WSM for the tractor and read it. The pressure settings as well as the adjust procedures will be in there.

I also strongly suggest he purchase an over running clutch for the end of the pto stub and use it always. Any time I have an implement on eith of my M9's that don't have a built in over running clutch or a ratcheting freewheel, I have the over running clutch on the pto stub Kubota's are notorious for pto clutch issues, especially the older ones.

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #4  
$5K is absurd.
Not absurd at all. Replacing the wet clutch requires a full split and at 100+ an hour shop time, 5 grand (parts included) is a good ballpark figure today. If it was mine, I'd adjust the clamping pressure first but again, you need the WSM to do that.

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #5  
Not absurd at all. Replacing the wet clutch requires a full split and at 100+ an hour shop time, 5 grand (parts included) is a good ballpark figure today. If it was mine, I'd adjust the clamping pressure first but again, you need the WSM to do that.
$5K is totally unreasonable.

/ L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions #6  
Instead of giving up on the tractor try checking the clutch adjustment. It can be that simple. There should be about an inch of free play before you start to feel resistance from the pressure plate. It's much simpler than replacing the clutch.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3130 PTO clutch rebuild questions
Thanks guys. I'll look up the WSM for adjusting it, but based on what he said, I think it may be toast by now. I guess I can't say if $5k is reasonable or not as it seems like a very high number, but there is clearly also a lot of time involved... As for hours on it, not sure. Something north of 1500 but under 2000 I'd say.