L3400 brake noise

/ L3400 brake noise #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
While using the tractor to load logs on my sawmill today, I noticed a noise from the brakes. I flipped the lever that locks the pedals together up so they would act independently of one another. It seemed to make the noise when I stepped on the left pedal. I checked underneath to make sure I hadn't picked up a stick or something in the linkage, but I saw nothing. I know my brakes are in the hydraulic fluid and that I have a small leak on one of my backhoe line quick connectors. I was thinking maybe I was low on hydraulic fluid, but it was hard to tell in the woods.

Well about 30 minutes later, both left and right brakes are making the same noise, leading me to think I am just low on Fluid. I limp it back to the house and head off for TSC for some. I added 1.5 gallons and the sight glass is full. Started it up and it still is making noise no matter which pedal you hit. Kinda reminds me of the noise our old John Deere brakes (dry brakes) make if you forget to let off the parking brake on. It almost sounds like gears trying to mesh together.

I have no other symptoms. I had the rear wheels off the ground with the outriggers and there are no noises unless you stomp on either pedal. I am at a loss. If it was one side doing this, it would be easier to diagnose, but both sides independently of one another? I found a post on another website of the same symptom but there was no resolution and the post was from 2014.

Any suggestions?

/ L3400 brake noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq4jHbGsajc This is my first ever YouTube video. I had my son drive the tractor slowly in first gear while I walked alongside and hit the brakes. I checked all of the linkage and everything is quiet as can be when the machine is not moving.

I am still baffled at this noise. I drained a little fluid from the right rear housing tonight hoping to see flakes or something and there were none.

/ L3400 brake noise
I hope this helps someone else in the future. I don't know why I took so long to address this issue. I ordered some PEMO Friction modifier from John Deere last week. I ordered (5) 12oz bottles to get my order up to qualify for free shipping. I figured if it works, I'll have enough for the next 20 years. I ran up to the barn this morning. Bottle says do not over-treat. Okay, how much is over-treating? Says add 1 to 1.2% by volume.. Well, I guess (1) 12oz bottle won't hurt anything. While I'm breaking the foil seal with a cotter pin, I'm squeezing the bottle a little. Some of the fluid oozes out. It's very thick, like gear oil in winter. Takes a few minutes to drain out. Fired the tractor up, hit the brakes coming down the hill in neutral. Every time I shove the brakes all the way in, the growl lessens to the point it is gone. I drive it uphill and drift back (this was always the loudest). By about the 5th time I stomped on the brakes, the noise is gone. I am very pleased to say the least. We'll put some hours on it next weekend bringing firewood down the mountain on trailers. I will report back on the results.

/ L3400 brake noise #4  
Hi Sir,

I am having this kind of issue with my Kubota L4018, same as how your tractor sounds in your video.
Where did you add the PEMO, to hydraulic oil or to Engine?

Thank you!