L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation?

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #11  
My 1910 has two clutch disks and plates. I assume that the L3400DT is the same way.

I think Jason's attachment might show this but I can't open it. I see a few people viewed it but neither one works witm my browser for whatever reason.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation?
Interesting regarding the Kubota fix. Any harm from getting it applied? Any harm to not getting it applied?

Sorry for the questions - its fascinating stuff.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #13  
My dealer said the fix was a result of complaints about the over running clutch noise. On the L3400HST the clutch is not completly submersed in oil and is louder.

I don't care to add 7L of oil which has to be changed. Also the fix puts an extension on the rear breather (behind the seat). The oil rises above the normal breather level with the change. My tractor has a rear remote which returns oil to the tank there. I'm not going to make the change

As I understand the fix is only to quiet the noise and has no other benefit.

Kubota dealers should make buyers more aware of this noise. The first time I pushed in the clutch with my brush hog on I almost had a heart attack hearing the grinding. I called the dealer and he said "yeah, they do that, it's normal". He gave me some pages from his service manual showing how it worked. That's when he suggested not using the clutch to disengage the PTO. That seemed OK to me since I usually don't use the clutch on the 1910 either.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #14  
Does the DT (Shuttle Shift) do the same thing? I don't have a rough cutter yet, but I will be getting one this summer. I just want to be prepared for "terrible grinding noises" and when (if) they would occure.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation?
The Kubota rep that was at my place point out the fact that I had an overrunning clutch and suggested throttling down slowly before disengaging the pto..

Interesting that he never did suggest just disengaging the pto without clutching.

Really odd that they don't list this simple solution (not clutching) in the manual.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #16  
On the 3400and 2800 hst , you will have this noise. We put a 5'bush hog on one and showed to every interested customer. The noise is just that. It does not damage anything except your peace of mind. The first one I heard , I nearly left the tractor. I have played with this a couple of times and have found some cheap fixes. 1. put external overrun clutch on pto output shaft(as we did with 9N) much less noise. 2. put spacer between halves of overrun clutch (see the parts breakdown from Jason) to keep halves from slapping together. The overfill with oil does not really make noise go away. And , remember , It really does not damage anything. Also, I'm not using all caps as I was told it was like I was hollering at you gentlemen.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #17  
You can throttle down slow. I did that for a while and decided it's a pain. The only caution I take is I would not disengage under heavy load without the clutch.

The noise does not hurt anything as stated above. I just don't like hearing it.

/ L3400HST overrunning clutch explanation? #18  
The L3400DT has a live continous running PTO. You should not hear any over running clutch noise when you push the clutch in.