L3800 spacers, any negative effects long term?

/ L3800 spacers, any negative effects long term? #11  
I added 4" to my 45 HP JD 3720 for stability. This was new in 2010 and now has 800 hours and no problem whatsoever. I 242 locktited the spacer bolts and lugnuts so they don't vibrate loose or work loose which is a problem with some newer tractors. Never had to re-snug them up.

I run with either a 7' landpride FM or a 800# weight box all the time. Go for it.

/ L3800 spacers, any negative effects long term? #12  
Do not know your B-in-law's context or situation but there are a couple of compromises to consider: 1) If he uses a belly mower he might find a size of spacer that would help with chains and yet still allow using the belly mower.

Economy L machines don't have the option for a mid-PTO or mid mount mower. Only the Grand Ls.

/ L3800 spacers, any negative effects long term? #13  
Economy L machines don't have the option for a mid-PTO or mid mount mower. Only the Grand Ls.

I was not sure which ones had the mid PTO and thus belly mowers. I have a little project for this spring to cut the support frame for the wheels on my belly mower for the B2150 and make "splice sleeves" to fit over the cut-off frame ends and bolt in place. The new splice sleeves will have a bend in them, just enough to cause the wheels to comfortably clear the tires in the spread-out locations. I have big fat turf tires on this B2150. Don't want to take the wheel spacers on and off.

/ L3800 spacers, any negative effects long term? #14  
My M6040 has rear wheel spacing built right into the rim/center. I can vary each rear wheel as much as 6+ inches. This gives an overall - center to center width variance of 13+ inches. This is factory OEM.

Our L3800 with R4 tires had fixed rims that could not be varied for different widths. IIRC, the L3800s that came with R1 tires had rims that could be adjusted for width as you describe. Our M5400 had and our MX5800 has rear rims that can be adjusted for width. We have ours set out for maximum width, which certainly helps stability.