L4200 Hydraulics

/ L4200 Hydraulics #1  

Bob2005

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help anyone can give.

I recently inherited a Kubota L4200 GST that's about 10 years old. It has a front loader and a 72" rotary mower on the rear. It's got about 400 hours on the meter.

Yesterday while cutting grass, things got real strange. First the bucket lever got hard to operate. "Up" worked okay but "Down" was difficult. Next, the steering started to fail. The steering wheel turned but the wheels didn't. This was intermittant for a few minutes until the steering failed completely. At that point, the transmission would not engage and the front loader would only go down. The hydraulic sight glass is white color so I can not see how much fluid is in there.

So there it sits on a hill. No steering, can't engage transmission and bucket is down so it can't be towed.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

/ L4200 Hydraulics #2  
Bob
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I do not know much about a L4200. But from reading other threads I will make a couple of suggestions.
1. You may be low on only in transmissions. When on a hill the oil is toward on side of transmission case.
2. If the sight gage is white. It may be caused by water in the transmission oil.
3. If you have to add oil use <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> UDT. If your not sure what type of oil is in tractor change transmission oil and filter.
Hope this helps.

/ L4200 Hydraulics
Thanks for the input. One of the hydraulic lines had developed a leak and this caused the problem. 2 gallons of Kubota UDT did the trick. Now it's time to drain the oil and start fresh.

Thanks again,