L4300 PTO Brake?

/ L4300 PTO Brake? #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
My '04 L4300 has independent hydraulic PTO. I've been using it to run a Woods Brush Bull 720. The combination seems to work rather well in the brush I have, but the BB 720 is clearly near the upper end of what the tractor can handle.

When I disengage the PTO at operating RPM, the Brush Bull takes nearly a minute to coast down to a stop. Bringing the cutter RPM down with the engine, by throttling back before disengaging, seems to put more strain on everything so I normally disengage at operating speed and let it coast down. So far this hasn't posed a problem.

Reading the TractorSmart PTO tutorial this morning, I noticed independent hydraulic PTO normally incorporates a PTO brake. The L4300 does no braking that I can detect and, for now, that's the way I like it. The question is: Is it supposed to? Does it have a PTO brake that's either non-functional or one that I've already managed to destroy?
Bob

/ L4300 PTO Brake? #2  
<font color="blue"> The question is: Is it supposed to? Does it have a PTO brake that's either non-functional or one that I've already managed to destroy? </font>
There may different types of <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> PTO's. But mine does not have a brake on it. Always takes a minute or more for Rotary Cutter to stop rotating.

/ L4300 PTO Brake? #3  
The CASE/IH 585 we use supposedly has a brake too, it never seems to do anything.

Our L5030 seems to let the mower spin a long time too.

Sorry not to help. I'm happy as long as the over running clutch works!

/ L4300 PTO Brake? #4  
Bob,

I have the L4300DT and I engage and disengage the PTO at around 1,000 to 1,200 rpm. At this speed the Bush Hog 286 (6') coasts for awhile when disengaging.

Sounds like you're fine.

Jim