L4610HSTC Running Hot

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #1  

tom9961

Tractor
L5030HSTC
Thanks SageBrush, Grandad and the others that first replied.

I have a fel on my tractor with a grapple bucket. Best thing I ever had. It has been great cleaning up our new property. Can work all day long doing loader work with no problems. But as soon as I start clipping with the Woods 6000 5'er or disking with the 5' disk the temp starts up.
The temp gauge is broke into thirds and will only move a little past the 1st third doing the loader work but quickley climbs past 2 thirds heading to the red hot zone when I start bushing or disking.

Any of you guys with a L4610HSTC have any experenxes like this.

I have to clean the radiator screen very often when bushing but it still wants to run hot

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #2  
Tom:

You need to read the thread about the 4610 air conditioning problem, posted by PatrickG.

I have a 5030HSTC that I farm (hay) with. My air conditioning was wimpy and I fixed that (see thread for explaination). When I'm out in the field running the mower (13 foot) or the round baler, I'm working the 5030 hard. My temperature gage runs one segment past the mid portion all the time. If you read your owners manual, it states that there is an overtemperature light on the "intelepanel". Mine has never come on and I've never lost any coolant from the overflow tank. I'd not worry too much about it, unless the light came on. Are your water pump belts tight and is the radiator clean? I don't mean the removable screen(s), I mean the radiator itself? I get hay fines (behind) the screen to the radiator as well as the evaporator for the ac. What I do is every week, I take the garden hose and flush the radiator from fan side toward the screen side with the screen removed. I usually get a bunch of fines coming out with the water.

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #3  
"I have to clean the radiator screen very often when bushing but it still wants to run hot"

Well thats normal for most tractors. 5030 covered the issue well. Have you looked at this product? Cleanfix Again, there is another thread around here on the same subject, if you havn't taken a look already.

Does your temp guage ever get all the way to the red? I have a L4330 bota with the digital dash, it never goes past the half way mark even when plowing for hours in the mid 90's. I'm not familiar with the 4610's, but the temps should be no where near the red zone. I guess you havn't had a service tech look at it?

Let us know if you get it resolved.

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot
Thanks.

I followed the thread and saw the pitcures that you attached. Since I am having the same A/C problems that you all were debateing it will be worth trying the shrouds. I had been looking and thinking about how they had laid out all the diffrent cooling coils and wondered if this wasn't the root of my cooling problems.
I had been trying to resolve the overheating problem and really hadn't noticed my A/C problem until I first saw the issue here.
I will bet that this fix might go a long way to resolving the overheating. If nothing else I am now aware of the A/C problem and have your fix to resaolve that.

I will let you know if it helps the overheating. don't know when I will get to fix the shrouds, but as soon as I do I will pass along the results.

I have one questionthough. I am mechanically challanged so I don't under stand the WOG valve. Any info on that.

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #5  
Tom:

I just abbreviated the name of the valve. It's a Water/Oil/Gas valve (WOG). brass body, full port. it's threaded 3/8" pipe thread, both ends. It's positive shutoff, 1/4 turn. I used nylon sprayer fittings in both ends, 3/8 pipe thread/ barbed 3/8 other end, and of course, 2 worm type hose clamps. The WOG valve is available at any good hardware store, TSC or Lowes for about $6.00. The nylon fittings are sprayer parts, available at any farm store like TSC. I used a full port valve as the bore is 3/8" so when it's open there is no restriction in the flow of hot coolant. WOG valves are commonly used by plumbers in natural gas lines as the kind that go to your furnace or water heater. They usually have teflon seats and stainless balls. When you install the valve, put a bucket under the radiator of the tractor on the right side facing forward. There is a hex shaped drain fitting on the bottom of the radiator, on the right hand corner. Take it out and let the coolant drain into the bucket. Don't forget to take the radiator cap off. After the coolant stops flowing, replace the drain plug and take a sharp knife and cut the line to place the valve as my picture shows. You will need to cut out a piece of hose about 1" long to make room for the valve and barbs. Install the valve, tighten the clamps and put the coolant back in. It will not all go in the radiator, so when it's full, close the cap, and top off the coolant resivour and warm up the engine. After the engine is warm, shut it down and allow it to cool off. The vacuum created by the cooled off antifreeze will suck the resivour down. Put the rest of the coolant into the resivour and you are good to go. The WOG valve is clearly marked as to on and off. Usually, when the handle is parrallel to the line, it is on. At 90 degrees to the line, valve off.

A far as the shrouds, I took a box knife and cut them from an old mudflap. You will have to cut openings in the right flap to clear the evaporator lines. The flaps are about 12 1/2" long by 4 1/2" wide. I attached them to the subframe that holds the evap unit, oil cooler unit and side panels in alignment. I used sheet metal screws (after drilling a pilot hole) and small flat washers. Be careful about the placement of the holes for the screws as there is not much clearance around the oil cooler and evap unit. Also make sure you don't run the screws into the cooler or the evap unit as well as the hoses for the oil cooler (Ihad to cut off the ends of 2 screws to allow for clearance). I believe that not only will your ac work better, you engine should run cooler too. The flap on the right hand side is spaced so that you can still slide the screen out from in front of the radiator to clean it.

I clean my radiator from the (fan) side) about every week too. The fines from the hay get through the screen and into the radiator and fill the passages between the cores. I take a hose and nozzle and squirt it from the fan side towards the front of the tractor (with the screen removed. I always get a lot of material out of the radiator and the evap unit. The oil cooler has no screen at all so it's a good idea to flush it too.

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #6  
Tell the guy at the hardware store you need a ball valve. WOG threw me for a loop, too, and I've been a mechanic for over twenty years. I had to look at the picture to figure out what he was talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #7  
Bgott:

Not just any ball valve. You need a WOG (water/Oil/Gas) valve. There are ball valves sold that don't have seats that will withstand the temperature of hot coolant. WOG valves have stainless balls and teflon seats. It will say right on the handle that it is a WOG valve.

I am kinda surprised that you, being a mechanic, never heard of a WOG valve. Of course there are many kinds of mechanics. I know, I'm one.

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #8  
I've piddled with various things from lawn mowers to marine engines up to 9600 SHP. I know that they make different valves for different things, I just never heard them referred to as "WOG". I use those valves all the time for gas appliances in my trailers, I guess my mind just focuses on the "gas" part when I look at the handle. Most of the time when we used a ball valve in industrial applications it was presumed that a valve with a stainless ball was rated for just about anything, if we were working on really noxious stuff we got one that had the body made out of stainless, too. Most of the time when I was working on the industrial stuff and really heavy marine I was working under someone else, when they told you to get a ball valve you went and got a ball valve. You also have regional nomenclature differences, too. I'm from California. When I moved to Texas the first time I used to drive myself and others nuts when they would ask stuff like, "What model is that car?" "It's an Impala", I'd answer. No, they'd say, "What model?" They were looking for the year. I couldn't figure out why, if they wanted the year, were they asking me for the model! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ L4610HSTC Running Hot #9  
bgott:

I have a good handle on localized language. I live in Michigan now, but I'm originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area. In Cleveland, when you referred to Ford Motor Company, you said you drove a Ford or you worked at Ford. In Michigan, you drive a Ford, but you work at "Fords" .

Sort of like parking in the driveway or driving on the parkway /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif