L5740 HST/Transmission filter change

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change #1  

drpad

Tractor
Kubota L5740
I am getting ready to do the 50 hour service on my L5740. The owners manual calls for replacing the transmission (HST) filter and hydraulic filter. The manual does not call for changing the transmission oil until 400 hours. The directions for filter changing are combined with the directions for transmission oil change.

Can the transmission/hydraulic filters be changes without draining all the transmission oil?

Any tips would be appreciated.

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change #2  
drpad,

I have a 3430 and if I take off the filter the fluid pours on out. When I did my 50 hour service I was supposed to change fluid. Ask your dealer maybe a word or sentance was left out in the owners manual. If I had everything laid out and ready to go removing the filters and putting on a new one's I would loose a gallon of fluid I am sure, perhaps more.

BTW, have a big catch pan ready to catch all of the fuild when you do change fluids.

steve

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change #3  
drpad said:
I am getting ready to do the 50 hour service on my L5740. The owners manual calls for replacing the transmission (HST) filter and hydraulic filter. The manual does not call for changing the transmission oil until 400 hours. The directions for filter changing are combined with the directions for transmission oil change.

Can the transmission/hydraulic filters be changes without draining all the transmission oil?

Any tips would be appreciated.
If you search on "50 hour" or "50 Hr" you will find that different people interpret the manual differently. Even dealers seem to have varying opinions.

But the inconsistency in the GL40's manual is consistent. The maintenance table shows only needing to change the filters and the detailed instructions describe a full UDT fluid change.

FWIW I took no chances and changed the UDT fluid and the filters at 50 hrs. For me the real question is what to do at 200, 600, 1,000 hrs etc when the maintenance table shows only changing the Transmission filter.

BTW several people have described changing only the filters. Apparently it is messy, but doable without huge losses of fluid.

Talon Dancer

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change
I checked with the dealer. They recommended only changing filters. So I removed filters and replaced them without draining all the fluid. I did lose some fluid ( and the fluid that remained in filters) - total about 1 gallon.

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change #5  
drpad said:
I checked with the dealer. They recommended only changing filters. So I removed filters and replaced them without draining all the fluid. I did lose some fluid ( and the fluid that remained in filters) - total about 1 gallon.
Thanks for closing the loop.

BTW are the filters high enough that the UDT just quits running out after you unscrew the filters? Or do you have to be very quick to swap out the filters before a lot more runs out?

Thanks in advance - Talon Dancer

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change #6  
I don't know if it all will run out, but a whole lot will run out!!

Plan on being FAST!

jb

/ L5740 HST/Transmission filter change
The oil continued to run out until the new filter was back on tight. I agree with john_bud - be fast.