LA175 starting issues

/ LA175 starting issues #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I inherited my brothers LA175 mower with 200 hours on it. I believe he bought it brand new around 2011 or 2012. He didn't put a lot of work into it, but he didn't use it very much either. He had a 250 CA battery in it, which wouldn't start the motor. I put a brand new 350CA battery in it, changed the plugs, air filter, fuel filter and oil filter with two quarts of fresh oil. It struggled to start, but when I jumped it off of my truck, it fired right up. I thought the new battery needed some time to charge up, so after a good day of mowing with it, I put it on a trickle charger for the week. This morning, it wont start, even with a jump from my truck. In fact, the jump didn't change anything.

The starter starts out like it's going to start, but then seems to run out of power in about half a second. Then there is a minor attempt to keep going, but without any energy, and then it just stops. I tried this about half a dozen times after waiting a few minutes for the jump from my truck to do something. I quit when I could smell the starter overheating.

Any thoughts on what's happening? or what I need to replace?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ LA175 starting issues #2  
Suspect need to clean off both ends of the battery cables.. then see if that solves the problem.

/ LA175 starting issues
Suspect need to clean off both ends of the battery cables.. then see if that solves the problem.
Thank you!!!

I took off the cables and the ends where all dark in color. I sanded them so they where shiny, and did the same with the nuts and washers. It fired right up!!!!!

My wife wants to use this mower, so you just made her very happy.

/ LA175 starting issues
The mower is acting up again. After cleaning all the ended of the cables, and where they connected, it fired up and ran great until Sunday. My wife said it barely turned over, then nothing. I tried it a few minutes later and it fired right up. I assumed she was doing something wrong, so I turned it off and asked her to show me how she was starting it. It wouldn't start, it barely turned over, then nothing. I got back on it and got the same results. I connected the jumper cables and nothing changed. Then it got worse, nothing at all happened when turning the key. It was totally dead.

I think it's a safety switch. The one under the seat has a hose clamp over it so we can get off and on to open gates without it dying. The only other safety switch that I know of is when you push in the clutch. I jiggled the wires to that one and pushed it in and out with my finger, but nothing changed. Then while sitting on the mower, and trying to start it again, we both heard a noticeable "click" sound from under the seat. And then it fired right up!!!!

Any idea what that "click" sound is from? The fuel tank is right under the seat. I don't know what else is under there that could make that sound.

/ LA175 starting issues #6  
The condition that you are describing sounds more like the compression not being fully released , which on yours is typically excessive valve lash. What compression release is there is ground into the cam. There is no relay under the seat. There is a reverse sensing switch at the back of the pedal linkage and the seat switch for electrics. The crank circuit safety switches are only the brake and a circuit through the PTO switch.

/ LA175 starting issues #7  
Before chasing a switch, I'd have the "new" battery load tested. That is what it sounds like to me. So I would make sure the battery is not the culprit.

/ LA175 starting issues #8  
I agree with tomplum,compression is too high. Adjusting valve clearance to spec should get it going again.

/ LA175 starting issues
Thank you. I never thought that the valves would such an effect on trying to get it started. One time it works perfectly, another time, it bogs down, or the key is totally dead.