Land clearing for yard

/ Land clearing for yard #1  

Fordman98

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kgro
Im looking into renting something to clear a section of land we'd like to put a yard and more than likely a section for a small garden. The section I'm looking at clearing is fairly dense with brush and small saplings. There's a couple larger trees maybe 10" at most. The total area is around an acre or acre and a half.

So, my question is what's best to rent for this project? I've looked and I can get a tracked skid steer or a mini ex for around the same price. Which would be more efficient for the project? I was leaning towards the skid steer as I could just push everything into a large pile but I don't see it being much help with some of the larger trees.

/ Land clearing for yard #2  
Skid Steer is gonna struggle to get the roots out. Whereas a mini-ex (get one with a hydraulic thumb) can just pluck them right out of the ground.

I'd definitely go with the excavator, but make sure it has the thumb. I've rented an ~8000lb Bobcat E35 a couple times, and what a joy it was to pluck out 5-10" trees, and simply toss them aside. If you can get both a 1' and 2' bucket for no extra charge, do that also. Narrow bucket for root-digging, then switch to the wide bucket for smoothing things back out.

Do you have a tractor?

/ Land clearing for yard #3  
I'd also go with excavator with thumb would make it easier removing rocks trees and root balls,also having blade on excavator for leveling.

/ Land clearing for yard #4  
No question, an excavator is your tool for clearing scrub brush and trees. With the front blade, you can also grade the area smooth after digging out a stump and backfilling it with the bucket. I second making sure it has a hydraulic thumb. They are worth their weight in gold when picking up and stacking brush and trees. With the hydraulic adjustment, you never have to worry that the thumb is extended too much for digging or not enough to pick up smaller objects.

/ Land clearing for yard
I'm glad I asked. The being able to pickup the trees and move them is kinda why I started second guessing the skid steer. Looks like I'll be checking to see where I can get one with the hydraulic thumb.

And no I do not yet own a tractor. The plan right now is to rent the heavy equipment to get stuff cleared out. Then this winter/spring but the tractor to help put in the yard and garden along with all the other typical maintenance that comes with 5.5 acres. There's always a couple farm shows in the area with several tractor dealers with good show pricing so trying to wait for those.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!