Snow Attachments Landscape Rake for Snow Removal?

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #1  

B8FISH

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3320
Any reason you couldn't (or shouldn't) attach a "disposable" 2x8 or 2x10 to any rake to act as a rear blade to help clear snow? I've been using the loader and BB on my 2210 for the last 2 years and it works fine, but thinking with the new rake that I could adapt it to help as well, and since it can be angled, that it may be more effective than the box blade. Any ideas and comments welcome.
b8fish

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #2  
I'm pretty sure it will work ok unless you get ice. A carpenter neighbor of mine growing up used about a 4-5 foot wide board with two handles to hand push snow when it wasn't very heavy. I regularly use a 12' 6x6 on a chain to level ground. Usually after I have raked it with a youk rake. The rake itself without the board will move quite a bit of snow and also break up the fine stuff remaining.

Andy

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #3  
A coal shovel will work to shovel snow, but not as efficiently. That is what you are trying to do when you try to adapt the landscape rake (York Rake is a specific brand manufactured by York Modern Corp of New York). You might be able to bolt a 2"x 6" board onto the tines, but I don't think that it will work very well except for the smallest of snow falls. The problem that I see is that the wood will not act as a good scraper and that in all probability the rake will just climb up onto the snow pile before you have much snow in front of the "blade". Part of the success of a snow blade is its ability to shed the snow off to the side and its inherent weight to keep it planted on the ground. Like most things, the best tool for the job is the tool that was designed for the job. If you decide to go forward with the experiment, please let us know how it works out.

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #4  
There use to be a company called Fore Runner, I think, that made a "York Style" rake attachment for pick up trucks. They advertized use for snow removal I believe.

I think speed is a critical factor when using a landscape rake for snow removal, you need velocity to throw the snow off to the side. The same is true for a rear blade on a tractor vs. a snow plow. With a rear blade, especially going backwards, you don't get enough speed to throw the snow off to the side, at least I don't.

I would think the landscape rake would move some snow but more would spill out between the tines. A piece of wood would help to a degree, it would work fine on light snow and do far less damage to soft ground and pavement, but I don't think it would roll the snow along and off to the side as well as a rear blade or snow plow.

If that is all you have it would be worth a try.

Randy

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #5  
I've used a landscape rake to remove snow and it will work but not as well as a blade.

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal? #6  
You could take a thin piece of sheet metal that would bend to the curve of the tines on the rake and bolt or wire it in four or five places to hold it in.
Try going by a HVAC dealer that does duct work and see if they have a scrap piece of sheet metal. If too thick to form by hand (pushing into the curve of tines) they may be able to put the bend or curve in for you.

Just a thought.

/ Landscape Rake for Snow Removal?
Thanks for the replies--I guess I'll give it a shot this winter. I don't really NEED to do it (the loader and box blade have worked for the last 2 years, and my gravel drive is short--about 150 ft), but the rake is wider than the BB and with an even wider board clamped on, it may pick up the "slop" that the loader bucket leaves off the sides when it gets too full.