Last Yard Mowing of the Season

/ Last Yard Mowing of the Season #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
For many years, I mowed my yard for the last time of the season the second Saturday before Thanksgiving, then went to Port Aransas the Saturday before Thanksgiving for a week. But the trees we had then shed their leaves pretty early. Now we have four Bradford Pear trees. They had shed lots of leaves earlier, and I raked them and filled 5 large contractor bags packed as tight as I could pack them on Dec. 19. However, leaves were still falling, and the last ones didn't fall until the snow Christmas Eve. Since then I've been waiting for it to get dry enough to run over the yard with the lawnmower and grass catcher to pick up the leaves. But apparently it isn't going to get dry; chance of rain day after tomorrow and then the high temperature may not get to 30 for a couple of days.

So it was 24 F this morning, but clear and sunny, fairly light north breeze. My little Mantis tiller didn't want to start and I didn't waste much time with it, since I won't be using it in the near future. My Stihl string trimmer than normally starts on the second pull of the cord required 6 or 7 pulls, and the battery on my Toro mower was low enough it wouldn't turn the engine fast enough, so I had to pull the cord about 3 times to start the mower.

I sure did have to stop and empty the grass catcher frequently, but by the time I got through right at noon. I had 3 big contractor bags packed full and the temperature had come up to 33 F. Last year, my final mowing was Dec. 11 and the year before that Nov. 17, so this weird weather is making it later and later each year. And now I hope I don't have any yard work to do for a couple of months.

/ Last Yard Mowing of the Season #2  
You are doing good Bird, the last mowing I did was before the drought, I think it was about May..?.. When the rains finally came in the Fall there was a quick green up which the cows quickly devoured.:D

PS. Bird there is rumor that there is one last peanut farmer in Lee County, I am trying to locate him.
Lee County Peanut Company in Giddings is open and selling peanuts!!! The peanuts are from West Texas and are pretty good!