Lawn renovation

/ Lawn renovation #11  
PB...I hope that last referrence is not a "Lazy K" joke?!

signed....the Father

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Lawn renovation #12  
The seed needs to be set into the ground, by that it means to place the seed in the ground and if possible cover with a thin layer of soil. I drag the perpared area with my drag leaving grooves in the soil. Then I seed at the rate indicated on the bag of seed times 1.5. After seeding, I turn the drag around and drag the area again, covering the seed. You said something about hay. my tractor uses diesel not hay but maybe yours is different. If you cover the seed you do not need to use hay or straw. Just water the area keeping the top surface wet no deep watering needed. Wait until it cools off before starting the whole process.

Dan l

/ Lawn renovation #13  
hayden
I reseeded about three acres 4 years ago..First thing is you will have to kill all those weeds..Then prepare your yard by leveling trying to only have about an inch of loose dirt on top..Then I recommend renting a pto overseeder and putting in the seed..Since you have a tractor, what a better way of "playing" than hooking up a three point implement and making your better half a good looking lawn ? That way you will never have to disturb the ground again..I uses knives to cut slits in the ground and then drop seed into them..Then a roller covers the slits with seed in them up..You will also have to use a starter fertlizer.Add water and timely rains and..Waaala..You have grass..Most grasses are "cool weather grasses".That means the grass really thrives in cool damp weather..I would wait untill fall as the weed cycle will have come and gone..Then you will not have to fight the weeds.

Hoghead

/ Lawn renovation #14  
I seeded several acres a few years back at our then new house. I would definitely wait
till fall. Get the ground as smooth as possible. Remember you probably won't do this again
so you want to do it right the first time. Those little bumps or uneven places will still be
there under the grass. Plant a pretty good seed. Not necessarily the most expensive. The
best seed takes the best care. It is generally more prone to diseases & droughts. I would
definitely cover with straw. A good hard downpour will wash the seed around. I still have
one area that is real thick from the rainstorm. Also the straw will keep it moist & the seed
will germinate alot faster.

/ Lawn renovation #15  
Having re-done a couple of lawns myself in the past, here's my advice:

1) Kill the entire lawn - hit it with Round-Up.

2) Run an Aerator or Sod Cutter over the lawn. This helps open-up and loosen that poor original soil.

3) Top dress with some good clean top soil (at least 1 inch). You gotta use that Tractor somehow on this project!

4) Seed & Fertilize (low nitrogen)

5) Rake in the seed. Don't bury it, just get it under the soil a little bit.... Since you've got a lot or raking to do, use a bit leaf rake to cover lots of area quickly...

6) Cover with Straw.

7) Keep the lawn wet for two weeks. This is critical to good germination. If the seedlings dry out, they'll die! If you've got a big lawn, you'll have to get creative with the sprinkler. Making walk-ways with 1x6 boards works great!

Good luck!
Henry

/ Lawn renovation #16  
hayden,

I did a large section of lawn last year and it came in beautiful.

1) I tilled in the fall

2) I tilled again after spring green up

3) I fertilized

4) I raked and smoothed (with then rented tractor)

5) I then seeded setting the spreader to 25% of recommended setting, I did vertical and horozontal passes and finished with diagonals, I achieved a very even spread with no hint of rowing etc.

6) I drove drove 5' of 3/4" ;pvc in the ground approximately 90' in between I was able to cover with 3 pipes, I then pushed the cheapo plastic oscillating stake sprinklers into each pipe and connected with garden hose, I ran every day for first 2 weeks, 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks, and weekly for the rest of the summer, water is the secret to great lawn, I watered even when there were light rains only deferring to steady rain over hours.

ps. the standard submersible 4" 10 gpm pump can only handle 2 to 4 sprinklers at a time.
I now have walking tractor style sprinkler which appears to work well in my limited experience with it, but I am worried as to what my happen when it drags the hose across new seedlings.

I beleive Tilling in fall and spring could be replaced with roundup in fall and spring. In my area snow covered the dirt yard for most of this time.

good luck and remember sand/clay will grow reasonable grass with enough water and fertilizer.

bruce