Lawn Tractor

/ Lawn Tractor #1  

joemc

I am looking at purchasing a small lawn tractor. I looked at JD, Kubota, Husqvarna, others. On the high end – JD (LT series) and K (T1460 –1560) are within a hundred+/-;however both are priced significantly above (1k) above Husky. Husky has a larger motor and mowing deck– they don’t publish weight. I assume there is a quality issue differentiating the two units, but can’t see it. Can anyone provide some insights.

I am ok with spending a little more now provided I don’t end up with a machine that will be junk in five years.

/ Lawn Tractor #2  
OK, I have never, ever, ever seen a Husky mower/lawn tractor but their trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, and the like, are top notch.

As for JD or Kubota, probably a tossup; both have a proven track record, are very reliable, and are built well. Neither will be junk in 5 years if you maintain your tractor, change the oil to specs, keep the air filter clean, keep clean gas in them, and don't push them above their ideal limits (although they will handle it, it will put extra wear and tear on either).

The only thing I would do when deciding between JD and Kubota, in this case, would be to compare the mower deck mounting system, what it takes to remove the deck, how long it takes, and how difficult it is. You might remove the deck more often than you think to sharpen/replace blades and belts. Also compare gas tank size, and tire size/quality.

Hope this helps,

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ Lawn Tractor #3  
Joemc, I agree with Muhammad. I had a Cub Cadet lawn tractor for over 4 years and the only reason I got rid of it was because it was a 38" cut and I bought a 60" rear mower for my B2710 instead. One of the best features was the ease of removing the deck to clean mud, grass, etc. out from under it and to sharpen the blades. I've seen the Husky; never used them, probably pretty good machines if properly maintained, but I just never even considered them in the same class with the John Deere, Kubota, or even Cub Cadets.

Bird

/ Lawn Tractor #4  
Joe,
Last summer I went from an Allis Chalmers (made by Simplicity) to a compact tractor (NH TC18). I sold my Allis for $800+ because it was well built and still had a lot of life left in it. Oh, by the way, it was a 1978 model. Just remember, you get what you pay for! Is the Husky you're looking at spelled "Huskee" because there are some in my area that are made by MTD. MTD makes tractors to spec for many companies and it seems that the specs are substandard to Simplicity, Kubota, New Holland, John Deere, etc. so that they can price compete at stores like Wal-Mart, KMart, Sears (last I knew Craftsman lawn equipment made by MTD). Just check things out good and make sure you're getting what you pay for. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Good Luck, JimBinMI

/ Lawn Tractor #5  
Joemc;

You will find a lot of L&G owners over at the Garden Web, Lawn Mower and Tractor Forum, http://www.gardenweb.com/forums/mowers/. They can give you ownership feedback.

Do want to warn you though, that the G-Web Forum can be a little rough at times. There are numerous posters who have owned and operated one L&G their entire life, and generalize their solution as the only solution. Some of them have only owned a tractor for a few months or only a year, and express a fanatical view. Some others are very knowledgeable and generalized.

Besides the brands mentioned above (Simplicity, Kubota, New Holland, John Deere, Cub Cadets), there is also WheelHorse (Toro), Ignersol and several good ZTR manufactures. (A great solution if you only want to cut).

One thing I personally would watch out for. About 2 years ago, people started buying Scott's because they were stamped "Made by JD". Well those tractors were made to be mass-marketed through Home Depot. Now that they have been around, some of those owners that originally swore-by them, are now swearing at them. It would be nice to be able to buy a premium tractor at a discount price, but it just doesn't exist. Generally, you are getting what you pay for.

Good luck in your search.

/ Lawn Tractor
Thanks everyone.