lawn tractor

/ lawn tractor #1  

Vernon

Tractor
2wd 6300 w/cab, 6310 4wd w/cab and 640SL loader, 920 mower, 709 rotary cutter, Farmi JL 601 winch, JD 456 round baler, 752 tedder, 74 and 75 ground driven rakes w/dual position hitch
I have a really old Ford something lawn tractor. I need to replace it with something brand new. Preferably GREEN. I'm thinking about the GT155 with the 42" mulch deck. What's the hydrostatic transmission like? How about the mower deck? Since i have a farm and large woodlot would a 4000 series tractor be better for me? I mow around three acres, one-third around my house, two-thirds around my barns and buildings.

/ lawn tractor #2  
Jeepers vernon, are you going to buy a 5510 AND a 4000 series?

/ lawn tractor
I doubt it. If I do it will be in the next few years. But I do need something because my Ford just quit yesterday and I should get something else. What would you suggest?

/ lawn tractor #4  
...can't help you with that one. I'd have a hard time picking between my jd5410 and my smaller 2wd 27hp mowing machine...can't really use one instead of the other since my yanmar has turf, tires and no loader it doesn't do much but mow.

Perhaps a dedicated mowing machine, or a newer-used commercial walk behind would do for 2-3 acres that you need to do...at least until you can ALSO buy a 4000 series...

/ lawn tractor #5  
I have recently acquired a GT235. It has a 18hp twin air cooled engine which seemed as quiet and smooth as the watercooled version. I put a 42 inch deck on it so I could fit in tight places, and cut taller grass without having to slow down as much. I also have a BX 2200 that I have a 60" deck for that I'll use on the rougher/bigger spots. We bought the BX as our "only" mower, but found it so usesable with a loader and rake that I didn't want to have to pull them off (although it's easy) every 5-7 days to mow around the house where I don't want to let the grass get high and then wack 2/3 of it off. From my little experience with it I have confirmed my previous thoughts that I'd be much happier with the BX and anything I eventually replace the L35 with if they all had the JD type pedals. I'm assuming with the JD, the HST BX and GST L35 I'll probably be smashing into all kinds of stuff since I'll never remember the pedals, right?

Need a big sign...INEXPERIENCE OPERATOR...STAY BACK 50 FEET.

/ lawn tractor #6  
Vernon,

Try this link for more JD info, I got it off this board http://www.jdlawns.com/suburbanjd.htm

You'll see that the 155 is an LT and is the lightest duty front engine rider, not the smallest hp though. This site I gave you lists it for about $2,700. My mother-in-law just bought an LX 255 and she loves it, I think it's a nice lawn tractor, she paid about $3,300. She went with the LX over the LT because it has a higher back seat (more comfortable for her) and she wanted the cast iron front axle that the LT doesn't have.

Don't know if you want to find a happy medium between the big one you want and a mowing machine, that may or may not be findable! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck, JimBinMI

P.S. - Did you guys notice that I didn't even mention New Holland or TC's here...except to tell you that I didn't even mention New Holland or TC's here! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

We boys and our toys!

/ lawn tractor
You're right. I'm just going to check out something used instad for right now. I'm headed to my Deere dealer on monday, so I'll check it out then. Thanks for the input.

/ lawn tractor
There was no good used mowers at my Deere dealer so I looked at the new stuff. It all looks great, but in the meantime I figured something out. My neibors boy will be able to mow my lawn for now at least untill I figure out what to do.

/ lawn tractor #9  
...if you start hiring someone to mow your lawn, you might have a real hard time every justinfying buying a tractor...I know with what I have spent so far on tractors and equipment to maintain my place I probably could have hired a team of people to come for a full day per week for the rest of my life....(just kidding, but sometimes it sure seems that way).

/ lawn tractor
I know what you mean. I have a brother that has a horse ranch and he bought a 193 acre lot right next to mine. He previosly had a 65 acre lot but his Ranch was doing so well he decided to expand. He sold all the equipment with his other ranch and he is in the process of getting new equipment and building his new barns. We have decided to work together with both opperations and will help each other. This will probably save my buying another tractor for mowing.