Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor...

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #101  
Would not even consider this as it a recipe for trouble. At my new home I had neighbors come over that do not even speak to me and want me to give them a 416 with only 8 hours on it or my 4320 to use. When I refused the started watching my home and one even said your costing me money.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #102  
I have one rule for neighbors and my tractors. Yes, I will help, BUT my butt stays on the tractor. PERIOD.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #103  
Daddy said NEVER loan your truck or your Woman out to anyone....they're liable to throw a rod in them.....guess it applies to your tractor too....I bought a new BX25D in November and have a business license/liability insurance for it when I start doing jobs on the side....

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #104  
I have one rule for neighbors and my tractors. Yes, I will help, BUT my butt stays on the tractor. PERIOD.
Same. I do some side work for hire, but am happy to help out friends & neighbors for free/favors. I know with them it will come back around eventually. But I still dont let em borrow the tractor.

Loaned out trailers a few times, but they were beefy enough they couldnt realistically be overloaded (small car on a 14k lbs trailer). They did manage to loose the pin to hold down the tilting deck. They put a bolt in & got me a new pin ($2 probably) later.

Just keep good quality friends & you can rely on them to not abuse your gear. They still won't get my tractor without me though.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #105  
Simple answer is no....
I have worked hard all my life to get "my stuff" and that is why it is called "my stuff"

I wouldn't loan my woman out and I may care more for "my stuff" than her

;)

I will usually use "my stuff" to help almost anyone out tho.....

wow, your a sad one caring more for your stuff than your woman! Nothing you can say that I care about about after that comment!

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #106  
wow, your a sad one caring more for your stuff than your woman! Nothing you can say that I care about about after that comment!
Lighten up man. Don't read more into it than is there. Jest comes to mind.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #107  
Maybe I would loan a wrench to someone but even that is not likely. Most likely I would go with the wrench and help out. If I got stuck with someone wanting something big, I would either do it for them and offer that they pay something for expenses or just say that my insurance doesn't cover it. Trust me, he runs over a kid or cuts a fiber optic line, you are paying and not him. He throws a rod; you're paying. He rams his house; most likely you're paying.

There is also the "code of borrowing" that I had to explain once to an inquirer. It means if you damage it you assume the liability to give me all new parts to fix it back to new. No patches or whatever. A dent in the hood means I get a new hood. Blow the engine I get a new, not reman engine. He declined to borrow and good thing since I planned to say no anyway.

There is no need to be prickly about the decline, I just explain the situation, costs, liability and lack of insurance coverage off the property and say those are risks I am unwilling to take. I'm still friends with those who have asked so it must have worked.

Also, I do work for hire and sometimes a neighbor or acquaintance wants me to do a simple job. For me it's awkward pricing simple things for close friends so I say to "pay me what it's worth and I'll leave that up to you". In every instance but one I was paid more than I would have asked. We both came away happy.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #108  
I wouldn't loan my woman out and I may care more for "my stuff" than her

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndhalf View Post

Lighten up man. Don't read more into it than is there. Jest comes to mind.

And... if you have never met her. You really can't judge that assessment, now can you?

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #109  
No way. Not even once.

Friends know I will hop in the seat and do it myself.

My neighbors never offered me a tractor when I didn't have one so....

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #110  
Dude, you really are completely void of humor aren't you?
:rolleyes: