Leveling sand pile

/ Leveling sand pile #21  
Yep, been there. Am just getting out of the new-guy stage and learning the 'rules' of leveling ground. It's a Catch 22. You can't get level unless you already are.

Immediately smoothe out any humps or wheel skid holes by back-blading with the FEL. Whether using FEL or box blade, forward or reverse, always work from the most level surface you have into the more unlevel area.

Use the FEL for the first work, then finish with the box blade; the FEL is cruder, but much easier to control than the rear mounted blade. Expect to make many passes with the box blade; you see those road grader guys going back-and-forth, back-and-forth, working it down gradually.

Unless you are starting with already soft earth (if you are starting with grass cover or hard packed dirt) plan to tear it down below the level you want and then build back up.

Expect to get better with experience.

/ Leveling sand pile #22  
My sense from your description is that you are ready to bring on the chain harrow. It will level your sand out beautifully and it does not take any special skill.

My wife's riding arena has a base of good old Virginia clay, topped with blue stone, topped with river sand. I use a chain harrow to groom it every week. The harrow levels the trench that forms around the perimeter of the arena, knocks down the little craters that form when the horses ride through and generally fluffs up the material to provide a luxurious footing that contributes to enhanced soundness. That chain harrow will become one of your frequent good friends. Good luck.

/ Leveling sand pile #23  
A chain harrow will work really well. If you dont have one - I dont, one thing you could try is an old fashioned trick - use a chain in place of a toplink on your rear blade. By doing this, you will effectively drag your blade along - it wont lift or dig when the tractor goes over irregularities. I have created a lot of lawn from furrowed pasture, and this is always my second to last step. The final step is usually running a rake over it, seeding, and raking one more time. But the dragging of the back blade really does a decent job getting close to smooth and level.