Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility

/ Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility #1  

ironhorse365

Tractor
CC sc2450
Just bought this trailer new. Had Reese brake controller installed today at local RV dealership and tested. Controller works. Hooked up to the Gator trailer and plugged in the light brake cable. I get nothing on the trailer. No lights, No brakes. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure it's a trailer problem, but since this is my first trailer with a brake system, I don't have a clue where to start looking for the problem. Thanks J

/ Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility #2  
Just bought this trailer new. Had Reese brake controller installed today at local RV dealership and tested. Controller works. Hooked up to the Gator trailer and plugged in the light brake cable. I get nothing on the trailer. No lights, No brakes. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure it's a trailer problem, but since this is my first trailer with a brake system, I don't have a clue where to start looking for the problem. Thanks J

I would start simple and look at the main ground at the tongue of the trailer. You can use a pair of jumper cables from the truck to the trailer, make sure you do this where there is no paint, and see if it works. I would assume it would have to be in the ground lead on the trailer since nothing works. If it were anything else it would be just left turn not working, ect.

Take apart the plug on the trailer. It should be the standard 7 round. Most have 2 set screws that must be removed then you can access the wires internally. Also check where the white wire (ground) is attached to the frame of the trailer. It needs to be clean of paint and free of rust, ect.

Chris

/ Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility
Thanks Chris. You're right, it is in the main ground. I spliced into the trailer ground wire and connected it to truck tail pipe--- Everything came on! Just need to redo the ground point the RV installer used.

/ Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility #4  
Thanks Chris. You're right, it is in the main ground. I spliced into the trailer ground wire and connected it to truck tail pipe--- Everything came on! Just need to redo the ground point the RV installer used.

Glad I was able to help. I maintain about 75 trailers for my customers and 9 times out of 10 its the ground wire.

I would still check the plug itself by taking it apart and making sure its got a good connection internally.

Chris

/ Light/brake problem Gatormade 16' tandem utility #5  
ditto that. any time I see a dim lamp.. no lamp.. or a odd blinking lamp or a brake issue.. the first thing I check is ground. I bet 90% of the problems end up being insuficient ground.

I added a ground wire to all my tow vehicles and trailers using a quick connectore that can be plugged in alongside the trailer wire.. makes for sure frame to fram grounds.. with wire sufficient to run the lamp and brake loads..

soundguy