Limitations of a B7800 & Woods BH7500

/ Limitations of a B7800 & Woods BH7500 #1  

CNY13

Tractor
Kuota B7800
I am just about to purchase a B7800 with a Woods BH7500 BH and a Woods FEL. ...not sure of the BH bucket size(s) yet. probably 8" & 16".

Within the next couple months I will be building a 14' x 18' addition with full basement (8' wall) and a attached garage 24' x 30' (4' wall).

The depth of excavation for the addition will be approximately 7.5' +/-.

I don't think the trench for the garage will be a problem but will the BH7500 handle the basement excavation?? ...or should I hire this out to a trackhoe or gradall??

The easy solution is to get a larger Tractor/BH. The B7800 (except for the basement) is suited very well for what I have planned. ie., trenches for drainage & electrical, patios, small ponds, retaining walls, etc.

/ Limitations of a B7800 & Woods BH7500 #2  
A modest size trackhoe (miniexcavator) can be rented for about $200. They are FAR FAR FAR superior for the type of excavation you are talking about. I rented a Thomas 35T from Saturday at Noon to Monday 8am for about $160, plus delivery/pick up (total cost was just about $200). It dug a 4' to 5' deep by 6' wide by 40+' long hole in just a couple hours. I could have used the B2910 with Great Bend back hoe combo sitting in the yard, but I figured it would have been 2 weekends of work to use that and the bulk of the problem would have been just moving the machine and the spoils around. I think you'd find the same problem.

Thomas Mini Excavator

/ Limitations of a B7800 & Woods BH7500 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...not sure of the BH bucket size(s) yet. probably 8" & 16". )</font>
I have a B2910 with 10" & 16" buckets .... the 16" will plug fairly easily in wet clay. I've never used the 10".

I originally asked the dealer for 12" & 24" buckets but the order got screwed up and I wound up with these .... really wish I had the larger ones. FWIW.

/ Limitations of a B7800 & Woods BH7500 #4  
Digging a 7 1/2' depth with a BH7500 will require a lot of moving. The BH will dig 7 1/2' two foot flat right straight down from the BH. I just completed a project that required a hole 6' X 10' X 7' deep. It took a lot of planning and extra moving of the tractor to get the depth all over.
Bobs suggestion of renting a excavator may be the best option for your addition.