loader bucket preventive maintenance

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #1  

ccdck20hst

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Cub Cadet hydro 13/20, 2004, Kioti CK20HST TLB
I have used my front end loader to move bricks (5 pallets or so) and concrete wall stone. When doing this I carefully hand placed the brick and stone in the bucket. I have also moved about 30-50 tons or so of gravel. I move snow with it. With this light use the 54" bucket on my CK20 is in great condition. I garage the tractor etc. Hey I know this machine is to be used but I take pretty darn good care of it. One of my potential tractor projects in 2006 is to move about 200 feet of stone wall with the loader. I have rocks the size of beach balls and bigger and smaller. Some of the chair sized rocks may be buried with the backhoe. The wall is 2-4 feet high and 3-5 feet accross. I got a lot of rocks to move. Other than adding a tooth bar for strength and increased utility is there any thing else I can do to help keep the bucket in good shape before I start to give it really heavy use? Should I consider getting an extra bucket (perhaps a 48" one) just to use for this really heavy work? What does a 48" Kioti bucket go for? This may seem kinda silly to some but I want to keep my tractor in excellent shape and I am a little concerned about really roughing up or bending the bucket. Charlie

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #2  
It's a tractor...................use it! You'll harm it more by babying the thing and be setting yourself up for disappointment. You should expect some damage and deal with it accordingly. The operator can only be blamed for disfigurement. Bigger bucket would be around $500.

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #3  
I have been either lurking or participating in these forums for over two years. I have never seen anyone complain that they "broke their bucket". The things are designed to be used and will function just as well with a few dents as without. Don't worry about it, just use it.

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #4  
I have Broke my bucket on our Kubota B7100.

Worn off the cutting edge and replaced.
Replaced the bottom due to wear.
Had to have almost every factory weld redone.

I do make use of it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #5  
I have the light material bucket on my L5030 hstc as it was a used tractor. The cutting edge needs replaced, the sides are bent, the bottom needs replaced since it is torn up and the top is dented (that one was before me)

I will likely repair it myself instead on buying new though. I'll put a thicker gauge on the bottom and add a couple of 3/8" wear strips like hd buckets have running from right by the loader arm attachment points to the cutting edge.

Don't worry about tearing it up, it can always be fixed or replaced!

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #6  
I'm not sure what your bucket looks like, but there are some things to do to beef it up. Strengthening of the top is done by a lot of owners. I welded a piece of angle iron across the top of mine. Also, my bucket has only 6'' of cutting edge on the sides. Some have it all the way up. Mine has dents and dings and wear that would have been prevented by a full cutting edge. Probably other things I can't think of right now, but as always, lot's of greasing.

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #7  
nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your machine. After all, you paid good money for it. I wouldn't be so concerned about dinging up the bucket because it is made for doing exactly what you are using it for........dirt moving, rock moving ect. As mentioned, you can always buy a new bucket

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have used my front end loader to move bricks (5 pallets or so) and concrete wall stone. When doing this I carefully hand placed the brick and stone in the bucket. )</font>

Wow, that's way too much like work. You might want to look into a set of forks or a carry-all type rig for your 3 pt hitch. You could always put your rocks on a pallet and transport them that way. I wouldn't count on moving a full pallet of brick, but sure beats loading them all by hand. Your hitch is rated at over 1100 lbs. That should be a pretty good size load.

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #9  
Use it like you stole it from you neighbor while he was on vacation. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
And give me a call when you are ready for a new bucket and I will help you keep your tractor like new.
PS I am young and I will be around for a very long time when you need the other bucket /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ loader bucket preventive maintenance #10  
I agree with Rick Wallace, use the bucket, and if need be, buy a new one then. Why bother to buy a 48" bucket that will get all beat up anyway? When your current bucket gets to looking too bad, you could buy another then, or repair and repaint your current one.
Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but it IS a tractor and tractor equipment, and that NEVER stays pristine if you use it for it's intended purpose.
John