Loafing Shed

/ Loafing Shed #1  

mbeckett

Tractor
Ford 641 Workmaster
I am in the process of getting ready to build a 12' x 24' pole style loafing shed for some cattle and I was wondering if I should use 4x4 or 6x6 for the posts. It will have a 10' eave in the front and slope to a 8' eave in the back. Just wondering if anybody has any opinion on which to use?

/ Loafing Shed #2  
If you are setting them in the ground, the 6x6s would take much longer to rot away.

/ Loafing Shed #3  
I'd only set the posts in the ground if the shed is going to be there less than 10 years. I had 6x6 cedar posts set in the ground on my shop. It had been there 15 years when I moved in, and they were completely rotten all the way through.

I had to cut them all off and place on a cement foundation.

/ Loafing Shed #4  
I am in the process of getting ready to build a 12' x 24' pole style loafing shed for some cattle and I was wondering if I should use 4x4 or 6x6 for the posts. It will have a 10' eave in the front and slope to a 8' eave in the back. Just wondering if anybody has any opinion on which to use?

I used 4x6 PT posts for my 20x28 ft equipment shed, which is pretty much like a loafing shed. Used 18"x18"x18" footings and Simpson post bases to set these posts. My shed is 10 ft high sloping to 9 ft.

DSCF0097 (Small).JPGDSCF0098 (Small).JPGDSCF0099 (Small).JPG