Locked front wheels in cold

/ Locked front wheels in cold #1  

Thomas78

Tractor
JD 3032e
Front wheels locked in JD 3032E that’s been sitting in the freezing cold weather 20’s

/ Locked front wheels in cold #2  
What are you calling "locked" are they skidding along or stalling the tractor?
Are you in 2wd or 4wd?

/ Locked front wheels in cold
It looks like the front left wheel is locked and the front right spins free in 2wd and locks in gear in 4wd ( moves slightly back in forth ) and front left does not move at all in 2wd or 4wd.

/ Locked front wheels in cold #4  
I would apply some heat to the hub and drive. Either from carefull application of a torch or tenting and using a heater or salamander. It may need a few hours if it has iced up inside from moisture buildup it will need time to melt the ice cube in their. If it frees up from heating it is also time to drain, flush and refill with good fluid.
It is possible that it has a mechanical issue, but working before being parked sounds like ice.

I would apply some heat to the hub and drive. Either from carefull application of a torch or tenting and using a heater or salamander. It may need a few hours if it has iced up inside from moisture buildup it will need time to melt the ice cube in their. If it frees up from heating it is also time to drain, flush and refill with good fluid.
It is possible that it has a mechanical issue, but working before being parked sounds like ice.
Thank you for your help! I’ll see if I can warm it up a little!

/ Locked front wheels in cold #6  
If you have a loader on it or use a jack you can lift the front wheel of the ground and try to rotate by hand to see when it gets freed up instead of using power which can break things.

/ Locked front wheels in cold #7  
Sure sounds like water has collected and there is ice.. but we'd sure like to hear back from you as to what your learn and do to fix it.

Hopefully the lock is not due to a busted gear or casting. :eek:(n)

Used an oil filled style heater (as close to the wheel and axle as I could since it was outside) I had for my tool shed and after about 4 hrs. It freed it up. It’s rough when you don’t have a garage.

/ Locked front wheels in cold #9  
I’d drain the fluid and change it. Then try and figure out how water is getting in unless it was frozen and locked up on the outside.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT