Locking rear axle GC 1705

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #31  
Ok look, let's say you're on even ground, stopped, and you wanna engage the diff lock. If you're lucky, you push down on that lock pedal and it goes all the way down, locking the differential. But let's say you push down on it, and it won't go all the way down. That's because something in there has to align for it to fully lock. Just merely driving slowly forward/back won't do that, because the rear wheels are turning at same speed. Something needs to happen there for the wheels to turn at different speeds, in turn aligning the gears or capture pin, whatever the mechanism is, which locks the differential. Generally, you need to already be stuck, with one wheel spinning. Or, another option, turn while driving slowly, which makes your outside wheel turn faster than the inside one (which is the whole point of a split differential).

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #32  
I already do that to get it to release. Have hilly property, so need to get up to a flat spot before getting back on to blacktop

Why do you have to be on flat ground for that?

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #33  
Going to neutral, while trying to lift the lever for 4WD, while trying to keep from rolling down a hill is exciting, maybe a bit too much so for me :)

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #34  
Going to neutral, while trying to lift the lever for 4WD, while trying to keep from rolling down a hill is exciting, maybe a bit too much so for me :)
Make it boring, use your brake. ;)

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #35  
Then the 4wd lever won't budge , have plenty of flat areas before I get to any tarmac, so not worried about ruining any gears. I liked the suggestion of using the FEL to lift the front, will see if that makes it easier. Sometimes the lever comes right up, sometimes it just wants to piss me off.

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705
OK I have moved a good big of dirt in the past few weeks and I found that if 1 tire is spinning I can press the lock pedal down and it will go to the floor and lock like it is supposed to do. When I 1st got it however I could engage it fairly easy but not now. I can however get it to work when I really need it.

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705 #37  
Were you locking the diff when the tires were spinning ?

/ Locking rear axle GC 1705
no, not different the only way to lock the rear together is pushing down the metal rod on the floor. Mine will not hardly lock unless the tires are spining.