Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #1  

MDNick

Gold Member
Tractor
L3010DT
I'm in the market for a 3' stroke 2"-2.5" bore double acting hydraulic cylinder. Anyone have any sources for such an item. I am making a forklift attachemnt for the front of my tractor. With a 3' cylinder you can get 6' of lift with a simple roller type chain. But I can't seem to find anyone with such an animal. The L3010 puts out close to 2500 psi, so a 2" bore could put out close to 7800 lbf. That is WELL beyone my lift capability so even a 1.5" bore would work. Just wouldn't be as durable from side loading, which while minimal, will exist. I don't need double acting for the application, but FEL hydraulics are sorta designed that way if you want to tap into the PB port. I want to keep the oil volume down, so a 4" cylinder (which I have found) is undesirable.

So help me out here guys. I promise to take pictures when the attachment is complete.

Nick

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #2  
would a 4 or 5foot cylinder be ok I have access to alot in that size range for around 10 dollars plus shipping. they come from junked out Car hauler trailers i can get longer telescopic ones to. I can also do some junkyard scanning if youd like me to.Best regaurds Taylor

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #3  
There are a lot of long cylinders on old abandoned Hesston hay stackers & Hesston hay stack feeders. Maybe you could get one cheap off one of these.

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #4  
I did not check your mathematical calulations of the total lifting force, but, remember that you'll loose more than 50% of the available force once you "gear it up" through that chain. You probably already factored that in. We all love those photos of projects, Thanks!

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #5  
northern tool has a 3' stroke 2 1/2" bore Item#909136 Its 140$

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder
All,

Thanks!

Taylor, If you have a 4' in good shape (doesn't appear to leak), I'm sure interested. Bore around 2" or so. Drop me an email, it's in my profile.

ns in tex, I sure wish I had some ag junk yards in this area. Not much to be had. I'd sure be scrounging for just the ticket off the hay equipment you mentioned if there was a place. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim, You make a vaild point. While I really hadn't considered the mechanical loss, even with the 50%+ loss, I figure I can still lift 3500 lbs+ with a 2" bore. At full lift on the loader, an L3010DT would be on it's nose with that much on the loader. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Need more rear ballast! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

qwerty1, Missed Northern Tool somehow. I'll buy it if Taylor can't locate just the ticket. Thanks.

Now to scrounge for steel. That which can be had for free is cheap. Alas I don't have Wroughtn_Harv's steel inventory.

Nick

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #7  
Call Surplus Center 1-800-488-3407. They have a huge selection of all things hydraulic.

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #8  
I know a few businesses that will custom fabricate a cylinder
for you. After many years of buying new OEM snowplow
swing cylinders made out of cheap doo-doo, at 90 bucks per,
I discovered local equipment manufacturers who build custom
excavating equipment. I had some done out of stainless steel
to my specs. Chances are there is somebody in your area
who can do the same.

/ Long stroke Hydraulic Cylinder #9  
I don't know if it will help you or not, but my dad used to use the cylinders off of wrecked garbage trucks for a lot of stuff. We had one log spliter with the cylinder that lifts up the rear hatch part of the truck on it. That and an old 16 hp wisconcen motor, that thing would split what ever you put on it. So look around for wrecked trucks. Sometimes you can find cheep hydro parts. My dad NEVER spent a lot for things.