Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree !

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #11  
Something that I learned the hard way, if the hole fills up with water, be sure to get all the water out of it before trying to fill it up with dirt. If you leave the water in there and fill it up, it will appear dry and solid, but it's really quicksand that will swallow up your tractor when you forget where it's at after the grass has filled in.

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree !
Something that I learned the hard way, if the hole fills up with water, be sure to get all the water out of it before trying to fill it up with dirt. If you leave the water in there and fill it up, it will appear dry and solid, but it's really quicksand that will swallow up your tractor when you forget where it's at after the grass has filled in.

Real good point, thanks ! Around here after the 1st rain it will fill with water and it will stay in there for a long time since our "dirt" is mostly clay. I do not think the original owners brought in any top soil.

My ceilings aren't quite high enough for that one, but it is a good idea. Are you sure that is a pine? It looks more like a spruce...or maybe a fir?

You are absolutely right. Thank you for the correction......right behind that spruce is a small white pine that we will be keeping. They seem to grow much better here in our clay......Must have had "pine" stuck in my mind.

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #14  
Good job!
....now you have to get rid of that root ball.

"Shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it,
Shake it like a Polaroid picture!
Hey ya!"

I've found that having it sit out in the weather combined with 4 to 6 bonfires over a 3 year period does the trick. :rolleyes:
...or bury it.
Shake it like a hound with a groundhog.

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #15  
Should have saved this cedar tree for Christmas: :D

P4090021.JPG

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #17  
Now that is cool ! Hey, mom says a HUGE rose of Sharon tree that is too close to the house and has to come out next (he-he-he).......

Yep, that sounds like permission to get a tree puller :thumbsup:.

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #18  
for the OP...What was the reason for taking out the pine?...first thought might be to replace it with something more ornamental...unless it was to not have to mow around it?

for the OP...What was the reason for taking out the pine?...first thought might be to replace it with something more ornamental...unless it was to not have to mow around it?

It was a very hard choice we had to make. When we moved here almost 25 years ago there were about 3 trees on abt 6 acres (other then along a 1000' tree line/property line) that has all kinds of wild trees, some fruit bearing.

My wife and I planted hundreds of different trees over the years and were totally ignorant of what would & what would not grow here. That tree is over 15 years old and only that tall. We have found that white pines grow very well as do pin oaks and maples. Right behind this tree is a 4 year old white pine that is over 10' tall and just out of view on the left is a 40' healthy pin oak. This one was kinda in the way and not doing well so a decision was made. We may put something in it's place.....not sure at this point.

/ Look Ma, Got us a X-Mas Tree ! #20  
CoryRupert,

Something tells me most folks on this forum don't really get your reference to Polaroid pictures...lol.