Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna?

/ Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna? #1  

TangoFoxtrot

Tractor
Mainline
The ground is very hard clay in my garden so I would like to get a rototiller that can deal as easily as possible with it.

I recently rented a smaller Troybilt and it took many passes and was very hard work to hold it down so it would actually dig. I also found it dangerous as it dragged me away when it hit bits of harder ground. I adjusted the depth trying to find a sweet spot for the ground, but sadly it does not exist. Even after the soil was pulverized it would still occasionally find a hard spot and launch itself.

The Husqvarna's seem to have the best reputation in the under $1000 market, so I have been reading more about them and have narrowed the search to two models:

CRT900LS
DRT900H

The DRT models have the best reviews and a great reputation for breaking new ground.

The CRT models according to manufacturer specs are designed to work better at breaking new ground, but reviews are scarce.

The only difference I can find is tine direction. Could someone explain this in more detail and why one would be better than the other?

/ Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna? #2  
Well, I'll answer.... I had a Woods GTC52-2 tiller for the back of my tractor. I sold that tractor for a bigger one, so I sold my Woods tiller and bought a Husqvarna DRT700 (I think that's the one?) It ran good, and worked OK. Breaking up new clay ground took a few passes, but it got the job done. I would use reverse rotation to break ground and forward rotation to "cultivate". Well, I sold the Husqvarna and bought a 60" Kodiak tiller for the new tractor. It's much easier sitting on a tractor. By the way, a family member has a big, 30 year old troy built horse, that blows the Husqvarna away, but I think those tillers new are a lot of $$$. For the money, I thought the Husqvarna was worth it. It was easy to operate, and ran good. For what it was, I would give it 4 of 5 stars. I might mention I have a big garden, so the tractor way was the way to go... for me. Good luck.

/ Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna?
By the way, a family member has a big, 30 year old troy built horse, that blows the Husqvarna away...

Thanks for the informative post. The tiller comparison is great.

I've been thinking of picking up a used Horse model because it was my dream machine decades ago. It would be nice to have two rototillers around.

/ Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna?
I picked up an old Troybilt Horse. It is so easy to use, I'm completely satisfied and will not be buying a new Husky now.

/ Looking for a new Rototiller - Husqvarna? #5  
That's what I was going to suggest. I bought a 8hp Horse in 1992 with the Kohler Magnum cast iron engine. It still runs and looks like new and I expect it will outlive me by many years. I am sure you understand what I am saying now that you own one. Happy gardening!

Steve