Looking for a small tractor

/ Looking for a small tractor #1  

newhabit

Tractor
none
Looking for a small tractor to mow with, maybe scrape snow, till garden... I have 2.5 clear acres in the mountains. Any suggestions? I need to keep it as cheap as possible. Thanks!

/ Looking for a small tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN!!

I suggest you look on your local Craigslist...probably the best prices.
As far as brand...get what you can afford and maintain. You know your mechanical skills...work within them. I suggest you stay away from "fixer uppers" and stick with a familar brand.

/ Looking for a small tractor #4  
Reviewing the forums here on TBN will provide you with insight in helping you make a decision. BTW, Welcome aboard. Best wishes.

/ Looking for a small tractor #5  
I have a Kioti CK20 that would probably be a good fit for your needs. You also may want to look at the Kubota BX series. A great way for you to learn about the various tractors is to use the search function on this forum. Good luck.

/ Looking for a small tractor #6  
Hi, and welcome! Roy has very good advice, there are usually a lot of good tractors on craigslist depending on what your price range is. You usually can find very good restored Ford 8n's and other tractors for 3K and under, but make sure that it s in good running condition. You could consider a remanufactured Yanmar, they are also great tractors, and you can get a 4 wheel drive with ROPS, and a front end loader for around 6K. Used tractors for sale, used Yanmar tractors, reconditioned Yanmar tractor, Gray Market. The reason I like these is because they are built like little tanks, and Yanmar is the company who makes most of the smaller to mid sized John Deer tractors. If you are looking at a new tractor, there are a lot of good tractors on the market, and you will hear many different opinions as to which tractor is better on TBN, but you have to find one that is in your price range, and where the dealer is close enough to get your warranty service done. We have two dealers in my town, a Branson, and a Yanmar dealer, and I would probably go with the Yanmar, but that is just my preference. The big issue is that you get a tractor that will not be too large for what you want to do. If you are just tilling, or plowing a garden plot, and dirt, or gravel on your property, then an older Ford, or other 2wd tractor will work for you, and people used these for decades. The questions you should ask is what is you price range, are you going to use the tractor for snow, and in mud, or are you going to plow, and maintain a driveway, or yard. You also have to consider how much work you can do on the tractor at home yourself. Simple maintenance is very easy in most scenarios, however availability of parts, and cost of parts is also an issue. I have a small farm with horses, pastures, two large gardens, and wood that I harvest, and I do all of the work with a 15hp, 30 year old Iseki that works like a tank, and has more than enough power to pull a plow, till, use a dirt scoop for gravel and dirt, grade our trail roads, run a post hole digger, and haul logs out of the woods, so you can get a lot done with a smaller tractor. If you need to do big work, and serious digging, or if you are making hay, you will need something larger. I hope that you can find something that will work out well for you in your area! This is a video of the yanmars that I was talking about, but that is just my preference and what I think would work well, but you will have to decide what will work for you:

/ Looking for a small tractor #7  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ Looking for a small tractor #8  
newhabit said:
Looking for a small tractor to mow with, maybe scrape snow, till garden... I have 2.5 clear acres in the mountains. Any suggestions? I need to keep it as cheap as possible. Thanks!

If u r entertaining the idea of new tractors, u might like the price and quality of mahindra ( my choice, recently) or LS. Hard to find a bad tractor brand, I think. Price, size, capability, and dealer relationship are factors to weigh in comparing...imo.

/ Looking for a small tractor
Thanks to all, good to know some new "nice" folks! These ideas will help me look!