Chains Looking for front chain suggestions

/ Looking for front chain suggestions #1  

fishhead

Gold Member
Have already worn out the tire chains.com front chains on my 27x8.5-15 r-4's
When they arrived it was obvious that they were not in any way beefy enough (I think that they were intended for a lawn tractor) but I used them anyway.
So now I need a new set, usage is on pavement so ride quality matters and v bars are out.
Thinking that an h-pattern and hardened links might be key.
Any suggestions for Sources or styles?
Obviously it would be great if they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks in advance

/ Looking for front chain suggestions #2  
See the "Google Custom Search" box in upper right corner of this page. Enter - tire chains - you will be given MANY threads to link to..........

/ Looking for front chain suggestions
Thanks oosik
I have looked through a bunch but the specific differences I should have been more clear about are the size which seems to greatly limit any in stock options and their sturdyness
And the on pavement requirement which differs from many users who are using primarily on unpaved surfaces like yourself

Probably should have mentioned that this is the front wheel size of JD 3x20 series so the fact that most of the vendors mentioned in these threads don't have anything but a super lightweight 2 link ladder is an issue

/ Looking for front chain suggestions #5  
There is one brand - of course, I can not remember the name - that a lot of guys here prefer. Its not V-bar like I had. Its high strength chain in an H-pattern with studs welded on the chain links. The studs look a lot like what gets pushed into car tires. Everybody says they give good traction and definitely are less aggressive on asphalt & concrete than V-bar.

I will search again and get back 2 U

/ Looking for front chain suggestions #6  
Thanks oosik
I have looked through a bunch but the specific differences I should have been more clear about are the size which seems to greatly limit any in stock options and their sturdyness
And the on pavement requirement which differs from many users who are using primarily on unpaved surfaces like yourself

After a quick look I couldn't find the good ones to fit that tire size.
You have worn out a set? were you still spinning your tires with the chains on?
Are rear chains a possibility?
The good style (Euro) will usually grip so well that you do not spin, I run mine on pavement quite a bit.

/ Looking for front chain suggestions #7  
This must be a GOLDEN day - I found the brand I was talking about. Aquiline Talons check at - - Shop for Tire Chains and Skidder Chains from Tire Chains Required. – Tire Chains by TireChainsRequired.com or Aquiline Tire Chains

They MUST have chain that will fit your tires - - their site lists hundreds. The parent site will make them to order also. From what I understand they are not cheap but they work great and last a loooong time. I had heavy duty V-bar tractor chains. God knows - I hated installing them and my first tractor rode like a real COB with them on.

Well - good luck Fish - surely you can find chains that will fit and not rototill your driveway.

Thanks guys
I had looked on tcr for. The size and only found a couple of options, the best being a 2 link ladder that may be beefier than what I had.
Aqualung looks like a possibility though not cheap, I'm in Portugal right now and waiting till I am home this week to call
I do have chains front and rear, I think that the wear is due to a bit of spinning when peeling up ice on the drive and some due to the lead /lag difference
The drive I have is fairly steep with big consequences if you go off in the wrong places and we are in a really really ice prone area so I leave it in 4 wheel pretty often. Probably not the best for the drivetrain but better than rolling it or getting hurt

I have slid with using only fronts or rears,once leaving the drive sideways traveling down a probably 25-30 degree slope without rolling. Scary, what saved me was the thin layer of snow on the ground and the lack of lateral grip on the r-4's

Prior to paving and abandoning a short section of drive I got to experience sliding down straight ahead in 4wd, with v studs, rear blade down and front blower down.

Just to provide closure on this
I phoned aquiline and all they had was a 8mm 2 link ladder square chain
Which I had found fro m a couple of places at 350 to 400 shipped

aquiline said that they had a local dealer
Which turned out to be a hydraulic and logging supply place that I had forgotten about
All they could do in that size was the 8mm square but I got them in 2 days for 200
They are certainly beefy and ride a bit rough but should give good traction and life

well this update has an update and i guess i relearned something about paying for quality
the chains i got from the local dealer have gone through most of their useful life in one season- All i can think of is that they must have been made of a super soft steel.
Live and learn i guess though i will probably give that dealer a call- even if they won't / can't help me out financially maybe they will steer the next customer away.

so ,
the original question is back up - any better option than the Aquiline 2 link ladders i found?
would like a euro style

Just to provide closure on this
I phoned aquiline and all they had was a 8mm 2 link ladder square chain
Which I had found fro m a couple of places at 350 to 400 shipped

aquiline said that they had a local dealer
Which turned out to be a hydraulic and logging supply place that I had forgotten about
All they could do in that size was the 8mm square but I got them in 2 days for 200
They are certainly beefy and ride a bit rough but should give good traction and life