looking for opinions on a truck please!!

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #1  

jay42782

Tractor
John Deere 210
So here's the deal......

coworker has a truck I am considering purchasing.I enjoy mechanic work (most of the time):laughing:

I have just sold my 2009 heavy Chevy so I could purchase a John Deere 755.Planned on down grading on a truck so I could have both tractor and truck and not break the bank

I currently drive a 2001 ford ranger as an everyday driver for work...problem is winter is approaching fast and need a 4x4:eek:

*Truck details-2004 F-150 4x4 single cab STX basic package little cancer on both wheel wells, new tires clean inside 150,000 on body but (needs a motor 4.6L)

giving my research the 2004 4.6L gets a bad rap.This is why I would choose to go 2008 for the motor

he was asking 3000.00 as-is.I offered him 1500.00 he's firm at 2000.00 I can pick up a 2008 motor with less than 100,000 on ebay for between 1000.00 to 1300.00
truck will need a battery-100.00 motor-1300.00 fresh fluids,belts,AC recharge....etc.lets just say 500.00 for unexpected

worst case I can get in it turn key for 4300.00

do I pass on the truck and drive the ranger until I find something else or would you go for it?

there is not a lot of 2004-05's currently for sale in my area to go off of at the moment

my schedule is generally free for the most part so I would have nights and weekends to work on it

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #2  
Is it running now? I would want to know what shape the trans is in. Why is the engine bad?
Have you tried LQK for an engine? I replaced my 04 Suburban's 5.7 engine for $600 with a 30 day warranty. They will want your old engine for a core.

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!!
truck does run now but on 7 cylinders
blew a heli-coil.was already maxed out on the biggest size.I would have to assume cylinder wall damage has taken place without pulling the head

pulling the head would require special tools...extra cost etc

I would opt for a another motor and be done

also most guys are pulling the cab for this procedure.some have done it without

I guess it would give me an excuse to buy a 2 post lift:cool:

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #4  
If you want the project I would hold on the $1500 you offered. There is more to be done with 150k. Front end work is not far off.

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #5  
I would throw some sand bags in the back of the Ranger and drive it for another year or so. Take your time and something better will come along.

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #7  
I'd keep looking too. I've got an 03 F150, 130k miles. Good dependable truck for the most part but things are starting to go south all over the place.

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #8  
I would throw some sand bags in the back of the Ranger and drive it for another year or so. Take your time and something better will come along.
I agree. Some weight and winter tires is much cheaper than the fixer-upper would turn into.

/ looking for opinions on a truck please!! #9  
My questions is the 2008 motor a bolt in? The electronics are usually the problem area, as in are the computers all the same?