Lost electrical power on Kubota L35

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #1  

rba901

Tractor
Kubota L35 Cub Cadet (Lawns)
G'Day All,

Any input appreciated to give me some direction.

Whilst re-enforcing my bushfire containment line I had the hydraulics fail, not great timing but with some good advise via the forums I have replaced the coupling that connects into the hydraulic pump.

When I went to start the tractor the glow plug light came on as expected with the other lights, then the glow plug light went out I turned the key further and it seemed the battery did not have enough power to crank over the engine. So I turned it off to just try again. This time nothing happened, the electrics are completely non existent, tried things like the hazard lights, absolutely nothing.

I have charged the battery, it was showing 13.6v across the terminals. I have checked the fuses, they look okay.

What next?

Cheers.

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #2  
Did you check ground from battery to frame ?

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #3  
Pull off all the terminals, clean them with a wire brush, grease and reassemble. Check for wire corrosion from the battery to frame, fuses, solenoids etc.

It could be your battery. How old is it?

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #4  
Battery could fail a load test though.

Try a different battery

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35
Thanks for the suggestions to date.

I have tried a different battery, with the same result where the initial try has the glow plug light and other lights spring into life, then the final turn of the key nothing. Then the next try no lights at all.

As I am typing this I was thinking more about the earthing of the negative terminal. I was thinking this is all clean and good, however what I did do whilst awaiting the hydraulic coupling from Kubota was paint the battery bay with rust repair paint (POR 15). The paint is thick, so tonight after work I try remove the paint around the earth strap. I'll let you know how I get on.

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #6  
before removing the paint, try a voltage drop test, it will easily point out the issue if that's what it is.

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35
Thanks again for the suggestion. The problem is now resolved.

I essentially sanded back the paint insuring a very clean metal on metal connection with earth strap.

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #8  
Good luck:thumbsup:

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #9  
Bad grounds will cause more electrical nonsense than just about anything else

/ Lost electrical power on Kubota L35 #10  
I usually do one of two things.... I start where I expect power to be and if it's not there start tracing back to here I find it... Last place before you find it is probably problem...

or.

Start where you know where power is and trace it forward to where you lose it, again problem will be between last place you had it and where you lost it....

Best tool I have found is simple test light... Although I have several multi-meters from real cheap to real expensive (analog and digital) , this is my basic go to tool when troubleshooting 12 volt circuits (not for computer systems)...

2700449466_c7ca691904_z.jpg

Dale