LX48 slow, especially going backwards

/ LX48 slow, especially going backwards #1  

xxxsandman

Silver Member
I just bought a used 04 L48. I've already read several threads about how the 3 ranges are not geared ideal on the L48 and I agree there's too much gap between Medium and High range. However I find going forwards in Medium range about twice as fast as going backwards. Now that I think about, all ranges go about twice as fast forwards as they do backwards. This seems backwards, most shuttle trannies, go slower forwards and faster backwards in the same working gear.

The L48 is painfully slow backing up in Medium range (the range you do loader work in). It seems OK going forwards, but too slow going backwards.

Is it just mine or is this the way they are?

/ LX48 slow, especially going backwards #2  
My L48 goes the same speed in both directions, check under the floor matt for accumulated debris or check linkage adjustments.

/ LX48 slow, especially going backwards
curtisfarmer said:
My L48 goes the same speed in both directions, check under the floor matt for accumulated debris or check linkage adjustments.

You are 100% right! I adjusted my linkages and now my machine moves about the same in either direction! One of my linkages is slightly bent, like something may have bent it from underneath, like a stick. I'm going to try to straighten it back and re-adjust. Other then sight and feel, I don't have anything to go off of, no shop manual. Any suggestions or anything to watch for?

/ LX48 slow, especially going backwards #4  
This has nothing to do with a L48 but i find my B3030 painfully slow in reverse too. I see there is a stop on the underside of the tractor that limits the pedal travel. Im tempted to do some exerimenting to see if removing the stop would make it travel faster in reverse. I know the saftey police would have a fit but a slow reverse is a pain for a impatient person like I. My Cub riding mower has a slow reverse too. Its just another one of those darn saftey devices. I guess i can see it on a mower but not a tractor.

/ LX48 slow, especially going backwards
I've determined mine was slow in reverse because one of the linkages was bent in a way that it let it travel all the way forwards, but only about half the way before hitting the stop in reverse. I straightened the linkage and re-adjusted the pedal for center and now I have equal speed in forwards and reverse. It now hits the stops in either direction.

It's MUCH more usable now that it backs up as fast as it goes forwards. I knew something was not right, it just didn't make any sense...

I would like more speed, in both directions, especially when working in Medium range. I'm also tempted to allow a little more travel on the pedal by lowering the stops a bit, but I do NOT want to cause the transmission any trouble and I'm not sure if it has built in limits to prevent too much travel or not.