M Farmall three point

/ M Farmall three point #1  

JHurt

Gold Member
Tractor
M Farmall
Moved back to the family farm in Indiana about a year ago, and finally getting settled in on the farm. Mom just rents out all the ground and we have no equipment other than Grandpas M that he started farming with. It was our auger tractor when I was growing up. Had a manual trip loader on it when I was a kid, but that loader is long gone. I started it last summer and ran it up an down the road, and then parked it again. I've been wanting to find a tractor that I could use to move dirt, gravel and just have something to use. Can anyone guide me on adding three point to an M?

/ M Farmall three point #2  
Nice tractor. The guy next door had an old M that he used for everything. It cost near nothing and started and ran just fine for many years. It was so quiet that you could still talk when it was working. What a nice old machine....When he sold out, the M went with him into retirement -that's how good they are, part of the family. And every part is still available.

Originally, his M didn't have a 3pt hitch, so he bought an aftermarket one for it. It easily handled a heavy 8 foot back blade. Not as well as our old JD with a factory 3pt - but good enough.

Fast forward to tonight, and after seeing your message I just did a google search. Guess what?? It turns out there are half a dozen firms still making a simple bolt-on 3pt hitch for the Farmall M ! Who would of guessed? They mostly have an oversize single hydraulic cylinder so they can run off that little 500 psi hydraulic pump that was standard on the M. The problem seems not to be finding one, but deciding which one to get.

Prices range from $800 on Ebay to twice that for fancier ones. They all look about the same as the 3pt that Jim and I put onto his M back 40 years ago. Simple bolt ups installation with no welding and didn't even take a whole afternoon to do the job. That's all it took to make a good old tractor into a user. Looking at those kits, they do vary. They are all so inexpensive for what you are getting that I'd go for quality over price.

You can also find a 3pt back bucket scoop that works for lifting and carrying. Here are some pics. That will do some of what a loader would do. I probably wouldn't put a front end loader on an M unless it had the wide front and power steering - but of course those parts are available too.

rScotty

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.22.17 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.25.55 PM.png30-Reversible-Dirt-Scoop-for-Compact-tractors.jpg_300x300.jpg

Last edited:
   / M Farmall three point #3  
I'd advise whatever brand you get, get one with 2 lift cylinders. It will give you twice the lifting power, although slower. Not sure what 3 pt. attachment you'll be using to move the dirt & gravel, but sound like fairly heavy loads. A single cylinder unit has the tendency to bend/break the bell crank the cylinder attaches to, or bottom bracket holding the other end. Not from lifting, but from bouncing when moving a heavy load in the lifted position. I've seen several at auctions where they have been repaired, or just still bent.

Approx. 30 years ago I bought a twin cylinder Saginaw brand 3 pt. for my M, mainly to pull my Overland 1-1/2 cu. yd. scraper pictured below. Although it was slow, and at times struggled to pick the fully loaded scraper it never damaged any of the components such as bell crank, lift arms, etc. and I moved a lot of dirt with that little scraper, even with the 100 lb. wheel weight I had to bolt on the side frame to keep the front end down. It was a whole lot more weight on the rear end than the tractor was probably designed to carry. Back then I'm thinking I had around $750 in the set up with hoses & fittings to hook it up.

While the 3 pt. geometry wasn't 100% correct, it worked very well for what I used it for other than the scraper, like 3 pt. blade, etc. You just had to set the top link for the tool you were using. The blade for example worked great in grading position, but looked a little funky when you lifted it up all the way. The top link would push back on the top link connection of the blade, and it would sort of fold under itself some. Nothing that would hurt anything just looked odd compared to a regular 3 pt. tractor.

Just be aware there won't be any down pressure, as it's built into, at least the one I had on the lift mechanism. On the other hand, it was nice because it acted like a float position on many loaders. Nice for finish grading with the blade reversed. The 3 position lever on my M worked very good. Most important if you're going to be moving material is to make sure the "hold" position works well.

The only thing I didn't really care for was removing the original drawbar and frame to mount it. It did have a hole in the lower framework to pull with, but never tried it other than something light. Before mounting the 3 pt. I pulled a 3 bottom pull type plow when our tractor club would have plowing days. It just didn't look substantial enough to pull that plow in a lot of the clay ground we have around here.

1711020414469.png

/ M Farmall three point #4  
I bought a used Abbott Bros. 3-pt for an M and widened it 8 inches to fit my 560. It has 2 big cylinders on it and will lift a tank with no problem. Front end comes off the ground a lot! Be careful with them!
The Abbott Bros hitch is built like a tank and indestructable! VERY heavy unit!