Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad

/ Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad #1  

Bigbell85

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Good afternoon! Long time viewer of threads, first time posting. I am trying to figure out how to determine which "part" this is that is actually leaking so I can order from the Mahindra catalog. Its a seal of some sort that comes from the transmission/ hydraulic sump area where it transfers over to the shaft that leads to the front axle. I took a video walking up to the tractor and then from under but it wouldnt let me upload it. I took a couple of still shots too
I found in the parts catalog on the front axle PTO diagram the shaft side of it, but it stops at the yolk labeled 1. When you go to the transmission sections, it is so convoluted that I dont know exactly which seals, snap rings, sleeves, bearings, whatever are the ones that attach to that yolk.
If anyone has insight on how to find this part in the catalog or what to even call it, it would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Illustration_01_23_2024 (1).pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Illustration_01_23_2024.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DD357AB9-F787-4BC7-82D7-CECE50651A14.png
    DD357AB9-F787-4BC7-82D7-CECE50651A14.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • FDF3603C-155A-471A-8384-DFC351212B93.png
    FDF3603C-155A-471A-8384-DFC351212B93.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 41
  • EAE5E3C2-DB52-4E75-AE50-F237FF91F336.png
    EAE5E3C2-DB52-4E75-AE50-F237FF91F336.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad #2  
It kind of looks like the seal got pushed out. Try find the vent for the transmission and make sure it's not clogged.

As far as the seal, you can easily get one of those at a parts store with the old seal or the dimensions that should be written on the face of the seal.

It's actually very accessible and shouldn't be too hard to take it out and replace it.

EDIT: But if you want the Mahindra part numbers, here is a printscreen from the parts catalog. I believe yours is the geared model. At least comparing the parts catalog between both transmissions.

1706050110735.png

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad
It kind of looks like the seal got pushed out. Try find the vent for the transmission and make sure it's not clogged.

As far as the seal, you can easily get one of those at a parts store with the old seal or the dimensions that should be written on the face of the seal.

It's actually very accessible and shouldn't be too hard to take it out and replace it.

EDIT: But if you want the Mahindra part numbers, here is a printscreen from the parts catalog. I believe yours is the geared model. At least comparing the parts catalog between both transmissions.

View attachment 848272
Thank you for that!!! This is the first time we have ever had zero degree weather where I live and I suspect something froze or the seal cracked or moved during this cold snap. It warmed up to 20 and I had to do some tractor work and it just started pouring. It almost looked like I could just take the yolk apart at the shaft and just slide the seal off and the new one back on…but that seemed too simple lol. I’ve never had a repair that easy with anything diesel.
I’ll get that seal ordered and wait on this snow and rain to go away and see what happens.

/ Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad #4  
Thank you for that!!! This is the first time we have ever had zero degree weather where I live and I suspect something froze or the seal cracked or moved during this cold snap. It warmed up to 20 and I had to do some tractor work and it just started pouring. It almost looked like I could just take the yolk apart at the shaft and just slide the seal off and the new one back on…but that seemed too simple lol. I’ve never had a repair that easy with anything diesel.
I’ll get that seal ordered and wait on this snow and rain to go away and see what happens.
Looking at it, yes. It should be that simple. If there is any oil in the transmission, it will leak there though. Just be prepared.

I really suspect that the vent for the transmission is clogged. As the transmission temp increases, the oil expands and increases the pressure inside the transmission. With a clogged vent, this causes the pressure to push the seals out.

You may even be able to just push the current seal back in. It looks in good shape to me as it's not leaking around the shaft but rather around the outside diameter of the seal, which tells me it got pushed out.

/ Mahindra 3016 leaking hydraulic/trans fluid bad
I will check that vent before I pull it all apart. The parts house would have to order that seal anyways, so I’ll try pushing this one back in before I give them the go ahead to order. Thank you again for your help!