Mahindra after 4 1/2 months sent parts

/ Mahindra after 4 1/2 months sent parts #1  

thearizonarancher

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035
I posted about the fuel pump and fuel injectors going bad in my Mahindra 5035 with less than 60 hours of use. The Mahindra 5035 is a 2012 and I found out why the hours are so low. Because it was so powerful I usually ran in at idle, And idle doesn't ramp up hours like running it at 2000 rpm. I am also completely, I mean completely up on all maintenance and service per the manual and my dealer. So lets not point fingers as the purpose of this post is to inform you, because if you own a Mahindra tractor you will be going down this same path someday. Lots of theories posted last time with many people not bothering to read and see that all maintenance on the tractor was up to snuff.

It turns out that water in the fuel, condensation caused the damage to the fuel pump and fuel injectors. Simply a complete utter deign error and Bosch is getting sued in court for millions for damage / costs to cars, but they got smarter here, they sold all rights and ownership to Mahindra. It took over 4.5 months to get parts and they finally arrived yesterday. Now I had ordered them at my dealer, called all dealers in Arizona and around the west coast, even contacted an Australian dealer. Nobody, nothing. I also ordered them from a general tractor supply outlet and they actually got them and sent them. The fuel pump was rebuilt. The cost new for the parts was ~ $540.00 an injector and $4200.00 for the fuel pump from all the dealers I contacted. That's over $6,000.00 for new parts. Of course no one had them in stock and the labor at $135 / hour is in the thousands of course.

So I have owned and had a Kioti diesel tractor since before 2001 and I never have had problems with my Kioti that I traded in on the Mahindra 5035. I simply wanted more power to move dirt around. Boy was that a mistake. I just checked and my Mahindra working is worth 1/3rd of what I paid for it. No value retention whatsoever. So as far as I am concerned, 4.5 months to get parts means to me that the company is dead. Who can depend on such lack of anything reasonable? But that's just my opinion.

So since we know for sure that the issue was condensation, the only thing I can do and you can do is drain your tractor at the fuel filter or fuel pump (depending upon design) to possibly prevent this. No I understand someone will say I use product "X" and that gets rid of the water. No it doesn't. It simply helps move the water through the fuel into the fuel pump and in my case that destroyed the fuel pump and the fuel injectors. So if all you want to do is tell me how I caused this, I don't care what you say because my purpose here is to inform / educate you so you don't make the same mistake I did. Funny how the Kioti handled it for over 12 years with absolutely no issues.

/ Mahindra after 4 1/2 months sent parts #2  
Don't the tractor have any system to separate water from fuel? If not I do Mahindra is to blame not Bosch.

/ Mahindra after 4 1/2 months sent parts #3  
The 5035 does come factory with a hydrophobic filter with a drain plug. Condensation in equipment that is not used frequently and stored with partially full tanks is common. The OP has very low hours, even for a mechanical tach. Even if the hours are twice that at 120 that is 17 hours a year or 32 minutes a week, however based on my experience they are most likely closer to 20-30% more than the reading. The issues he is having does not surprise me as water sitting for extended periods in the fuel system will rust injection pumps and injectors solid. The owners manual states that "Drain water once in a week" "Continued driving with water accumulation in fuel filter will cause damage to fuel pump / other fuel system components", it also mentions that after long storage it should also be drained. Hope this does not sound harsh. I sympathize with OP's issues as the cost of fuel parts are crazy expensive.