Mahindra Engines

/ Mahindra Engines #11  
The diesel engine has no spark plug, that it intakes air and compresses it, and that it then injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber (direct injection). It is the heat of the compressed air that lights the fuel in a diesel engine.

The injector on a diesel engine is its most complex component and has been the subject of a great deal of experimentation -- in any particular engine it may be located in a variety of places. The injector has to be able to withstand the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder and still deliver the fuel in a fine mist. Getting the mist circulated in the cylinder so that it is evenly distributed is also a problem, so some diesel engines employ special induction valves, pre-combustion chambers or other devices to swirl the air in the combustion chamber or otherwise improve the ignition and combustion process.

A diesel compresses only air, so the compression ratio can be much higher. The higher the compression ratio, the more power is generated.

Some diesel engines contain a glow plug of some sort (not shown in this figure). When a diesel engine is cold, the compression process may not raise the air to a high enough temperature to ignite the fuel. The glow plug is an electrically heated wire (think of the hot wires you see in a toaster) that helps ignite the fuel when the engine is cold so that the engine can start.

/ Mahindra Engines #12  
Wow. That does it for me. Great explanation. Thank you.

/ Mahindra Engines #13  
Sorry guys. I have been advocating a seperate sub catagory for Mahindra issues for months. I guess I never really gave it a thought that others may not be enjoying it. I have emailed Mahammad 3 times about it, but so far have not prevailed. It might be helpful to all of us if some of you would also send an email to him on this subject. In the mean time, I am sorry for those of you who would like to see Mahindra related posts out of this catagory.

/ Mahindra Engines #14  
No need for an apology. We're just having some fun! And probably are a bit jealous that Mahindra is outselling Branson and Century. In Branson's case, they need some darn financing, which I understand is expensive and complicated to get unless you are one of the biggies. I would have seriously considered Mahindra but I was not happy with the local dealer. The only difference I could tell in quality was that Branson was a bit more stylish (in my opinion). A couple of extra features on the Branson but they are surely both excellent tractors for the money. Actually, let me correct that--they are excellent tractors--period. And red is so much more of a macho color, it's certainly more suited to tractor owners. Now that ought to start WWIII (if any of the big three owners read this forum).

/ Mahindra Engines #15  
I agree, if it ain't red, it ain't a real tractor!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
THAT ought to stir some emotions! Chet