Maine Trailer Registration

/ Maine Trailer Registration #61  
We can always hope. But as a lifelong resident and a retired 26 year employee of state government I don't hold out much hope of them ever giving back.
I see that you've got the HD model. Mine's just standard duty with a GVWR of 11,960. But it looks like we're still over that 7K Maine weight that you mentioned before.

i'm curious if the 7K weight you re talking about is the unladen weight an not the GVWR.

i bought GN in 2012 and registered and titled it in ME. It has a ME title with my name on it. I was able to do this because the empty trailer weighs more than 3K lbs. 5 year plates, $30 in fees, wound up being $160, which is about 1/4 what the same tags titles etc would have cost in MD. Also no inspection. I have another trailer i wanted to register in ME they said fine, but it would have to be titled in MD because it weighed less than 3K. I did everything through the Staab agency.

/ Maine Trailer Registration #62  
Here's a page from Maine Trailer Registrations, the outfit that I've worked with several times. It's got some answers on it for those curious or thinking of going this route.
How To | Maine Trailer Registration

/ Maine Trailer Registration #63  
Don't you all have some sort of "business interest" in Maine ? If the L.E really has some hair a too their azz and has the time to actually ticket you and prosecute you for a Maine reg..... We have more important things to worry about.

/ Maine Trailer Registration #64  
With all the semi trailers across the USA that have maine plates that have never been to the state theres got to be someone reading the inspection rule wrong. I personally have three trailers tagged there (i'm in MD) there price for a 7 yr tag is what Md wants for 1 year. I use one of the online tag services , my landscape trailer is 7000 lbs no inspection was needed but you do have to have paid taxes to someone at some point .

/ Maine Trailer Registration #65  
Unless you get into a serious accident no one will be interested in a valid inspection of an out of state registered vehicle. Some states require inspections some don't. The average LEO is not going to bother on out of state plates. Talking to a LEO out of state registrations in NY are more common than you think and they could care less as long as the registration is valid.

/ Maine Trailer Registration #66  
Registered my trailer in Maine last year. I registered it there because it's an old homemade trailer I bought about five years ago. It was rated for 2,900 lbs here in CT despite being heavily built and having dual 3,500 lb axles. I added electric brakes last year but there was no way in CT to get the trailer re-rated. My Maine registration doesn't state any weight rating. Not sure what that will do should I get checked for weight or involved in an accident, but it's got to be better than a CT registration of 2,900 lbs on a trailer that probably weighs 2,000 empty.

Anyway, I turned in my CT plate a few weeks ago, then dropped off a copy of the returned receipt at my town hall to get it removed from the property tax roles. Guess what? The assessor tells me he can't remove it from the tax roles unless he has a bill of sale - what? If you de-register any motor vehicle or trailer in CT, you still get taxed on it unless you document you sold it. Not sure what happens if it's destroyed in a fire, or gets stolen, etc. He was nice about it and told me to just make something up in case he gets audited. So, not sure how this works in other states, but here in CT, be aware you could still get taxed on any old trailers or non-reg cars/trucks.