Maintenance free battery?

/ Maintenance free battery? #21  
Boondox

Saw a Optima sealed battery during a trip to Ft. Worth. A smaller battery (dimensions wise) than the battery in my JD 790. The Optima was 30% more battery than the JD Strongbox battery currently installed. 550CCA compared to 800CCA on the Optima with like improvements in reserve capacity. Plus a full replacement warranty lasting 3 years and prorata maybe out to 8 years. Can't remember exactly.

The cost was $132.00 plus tax and recycle fee.

The latest siting was in an Interstate Battery store. However I've seen them at Pep Boys and in the JD parts cat.

/ Maintenance free battery? #22  
Check out this site, if you want to know about batteries, chargers etc., its packed with information. They once sold Optima but have gone on to what they consider to be superior batteries to Optima. They also have great info on chargers and why they are not all alike. Rat...

http://www.batterystuff.com

P.S. I would not think checking your battery in the winter, particularly fluid level is that critical, but then our winters here in California are pretty mild, sometimes it even gets to 32 degrees and we get to break the ice in the dogs drinking water. I have been educated by you folks from back East and Midwest, I did not know much about below freezing temperatures and the associated inconveniences untill I read about them here.

/ Maintenance free battery?
Thanks, Rat. I moved here from San Diego seven years ago in the middle of winter. It was an education! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif In California, I used to wash my truck every weekend, then drive down the road to blow it dry. Too lazy to use a chamois. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Tried that here the first winter and the drops all froze to the truck. Then I tried the chamois, but it froze to the hood! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Pete

/ Maintenance free battery? #24  
I would go with the Optima, even with the price. I ran them in my Ford. The Dodge is new(year old), so I hope it doesn't need batteries soon!

I used the red top. It worked great. It lasted well. It was simple, very clean. The spiral gel cell is suppossed to last 8 years by thier literature. They do cost more, but besides being leak free, lasting longer is nice too.

My brother-in-law runs yellow tops in his Jeep. He's had his for about 7 years now; they have worked well, even under heavy winching conditions(yellow top is built for the app). Two yeas ago, he had a winch lead wire rub through. It smoked and arced and made a spectacular display. They finally got it disconnected at the battery. He repaired the cable, and the battery has continued to work perfectly, even when winching.

I know other manufacture's have come up with similar batteries, but have not heard news on them. My expierinece with Optima though, has been very good. When the Dodge needs new batteries, I'll go with Optima.

/ Maintenance free battery? #25  
MJB,
You are correct, I was wrong in saying that the original JD Battery was "Maintenance Free". The replacement is a JD "Strong Box" with six fill caps.
Mike