Making a FOPS

/ Making a FOPS #1  

BillCroasmun

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-180
Well I decided to make a FOPS for my 180. I saw PT has a 425 ROPS for sell on their used site for $125 but it is on the northeast side of New York and would be more than I want to spend with shipping. I am only trying to make a FOPS not a ROPS so it doesn't need to be too beefy. This is my thought on construction...

I am going to build the frame work entirely with angle iron... maybe 2", maybe 1.5" or maybe a combination. Basically I want to bolt a long piece of angle to the front hole of the ROPS (Approx 4'). It would be notched to allow the inside of the angle to sit flush with the tractor. I would then connect these two on top with a cross piece that would be the actual width of the top. I would then build a square frame that would sit on this to be the top. Then probably add on some small corner pieces (triangles) for extra strength.

This FOPS would have four purposes. The first would be a place for me to mount some things (e.g. lights, cell holder, etc.), the second as a sun shade, third would be to support a homemade cab for plowing this winter, and last as extra protection from small branches and such falling from above (minimal chance with what I do but you never know).

My question for the group is this. I want to make the cab compatible with the real PT ROPS should I ever get one down the road. Knowing this can someone tell me the heigth of the vertical bars on the ROPS, the length and width of the top and the distance from where the vertical support connects to the canopy to the front of it.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

/ Making a FOPS #2  
Hey Bill:

Given the cost of steel, you might very well spend almost as much on the metal and welding supplies to make this as you would on buying and shipping the used ROPS. Just a thought. To save on shipping, you could go to YTMag.com and post on their hauling messageboard...people post when they are making trips or need something hauled. Post and if you can wait awhile, somebody will be coming your direction and have room to throw it onto their truck or trailer...good way to get it shipped on the cheap.

I've made several things out of angle stock...just as an FYI, it isn't very resistant to twisting or bending inward (much more resistant to bending outward). I *think* (but I'm not positive) that square tubing the same weight (ie. half the wall thickness) would be stronger.

Btw, I'm not sure I know what a FOPS is?

Dave

/ Making a FOPS
Dave,
Thanks for the feedback. I can get roughly the right amount (guessing on a couple of the dims right now) for about $50. I am going to try doing the welding myself... This will be the first time I touched a welder since metal shop back in high school (about 20 yrs ago). As others on here have mentioned to me, owning a tractor now I could see myself using that skill more and more.

I'm also thinking of taking a flat piece of stock and boxing in the vertical angles for strength and a place to hide wiring. I guess it wouldn't be a box, more like a triangle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FOPS stands for "Falling Object Protection System". I've seen a few tractor manufacturers use the term.

Actually I have one more question to add as well. The vertical tubes on the OEM ROPS bow out and back in is this for strength or just to make welding the tubes to the mounting plates easier?

Thanks!

/ Making a FOPS #4  
Well I decided to make a FOPS for my 180. I saw PT has a 425 ROPS for sell on their used site for $125 but it is on the northeast side of New York and would be more than I want to spend with shipping. I am only trying to make a FOPS not a ROPS so it doesn't need to be too beefy. This is my thought on construction...

I am going to build the frame work entirely with angle iron... maybe 2", maybe 1.5" or maybe a combination. Basically I want to bolt a long piece of angle to the front hole of the ROPS (Approx 4'). It would be notched to allow the inside of the angle to sit flush with the tractor. I would then connect these two on top with a cross piece that would be the actual width of the top. I would then build a square frame that would sit on this to be the top. Then probably add on some small corner pieces (triangles) for extra strength.

This FOPS would have four purposes. The first would be a place for me to mount some things (e.g. lights, cell holder, etc.), the second as a sun shade, third would be to support a homemade cab for plowing this winter, and last as extra protection from small branches and such falling from above (minimal chance with what I do but you never know).

My question for the group is this. I want to make the cab compatible with the real PT ROPS should I ever get one down the road. Knowing this can someone tell me the heigth of the vertical bars on the ROPS, the length and width of the top and the distance from where the vertical support connects to the canopy to the front of it.

Thanks in advance!
Bill
How thick metal for canopy?