making a garden

/ making a garden #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I want a garden. Nothing huge maybe 1000 sq feet.

I like my gardens to have raised beds (rows).

I have a tractor and chisel plows and discs. My tractor is large so if I used it I would likely just make one or two passes with the tractor to break the ground and then after that using the tractor for cultivating would be out of the question.

My question is do you think I should chisel and disc the ground with my tractor and then maybe build a lister for my tractor to make the rows or would I be better of just buying a walk behind tiller?

I was thinking maybe I could break the ground with a chisel on the tractor and then using a walk behind tiller to further work the soil and cultivate between rows.

Attached is a picture of a garden I made years ago and I am wanting to do something similar.

Attachments

• P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 130
   / making a garden #2  
Mine opinion would be to buy a BCS and rotary plough, I may or may not be biased considering that I have one. Good luck.

/ making a garden #3  
If you set your rows wide enough to get a small tiller between them, you can use it as a sort of "power hoe".

I prepare my garden in the Spring with my CUT and a 4' Howard tiller.

I keep it weeded with a Troybilt Pony tiller.

In the circumstances you describe, I'd think a small tiller would be a good investment.