Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw..

/ Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #1  

jwmorris

Veteran Member
This is the 4th one I’ve put together and they are all slightly different but are based on some 1/4” tank feet that cracked on the edges when bent, used for the table. A ziptie holds the trigger down and I use a foot ”on/off” switch on them in most cases, clamped to the table on the right on this one, so I can sweep under the table without having to get stuff off the floor.

They are great little saws due to low blade speed, they last a very long time and are pretty cheap, being offset you can cut any length but are limited on dept, for some projects.

307BE9AB-BEE9-4140-88B1-3076C4591BC7.jpeg

The first one I did I drilled and tapped the plate and used shims and cold rolled guides. This last one I just milled a hunk of metal I found on the ground And cut it in two, then welded it to the plate, the shrinking weld on the outside gives clearance.

13FC1087-8ABB-4444-9E4E-363D5DC32BDB.jpeg

2F80DFB9-6F4C-4B35-AB0E-7A14BD6BD998.jpeg

You do have to make another fence, I generally use 1/4” plate.

1470F714-1B6F-4D97-A87D-9CBCA44F6A40.jpeg

The screw at the bottom is to lock it to the plate, like this one.

EB1DF7A4-B92C-45C7-8D9E-6FB6BED6F282.jpeg

This one is ready for the farm.

976FD4A2-E2E5-40C3-AD50-7A4FA014965D.jpeg

Vertical bandsaw to port-a-band with one fastener.

Last edited:
   / Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #2  
For those of us who are not so industrious

I saw this a few months ago. Wondered if it would be more handy than the typical 4x6 floor bandsaw?

Last edited:
   / Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw..
That’s a horizontal saw like this one.

E3F21542-99D6-453E-9C26-A053F074697B.jpeg

Not a vertical one.

Once you get one of the horizontal ones cutting right, you don’t want to mess with them again, so they become dedicated.

Then again, if you’re not building stuff, you don’t need much, I guess…

/ Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #4  
The description at HF along with their video says it also does vertical. I have no idea how accurate it is.

/ Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #5  
For those of us who are not so industrious

I saw this a few months ago. Wondered if it would be more handy than the typical 4x6 floor bandsaw?
I sure hope that one is built better than their similar mount that held an angle grinder, to use as a cutoff saw.

Everything had so much flex that you couldn't clamp work securely, or keep the blade vertical as the saw worked harder.

I abandoned using it.

/ Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #6  
This is the 4th one I’ve put together and they are all slightly different but are based on some 1/4” tank feet that cracked on the edges when bent, used for the table. A ziptie holds the trigger down and I use a foot ”on/off” switch on them in most cases, clamped to the table on the right on this one, so I can sweep under the table without having to get stuff off the floor.

They are great little saws due to low blade speed, they last a very long time and are pretty cheap, being offset you can cut any length but are limited on dept, for some projects.

View attachment 824100

The first one I did I drilled and tapped the plate and used shims and cold rolled guides. This last one I just milled a hunk of metal I found on the ground And cut it in two, then welded it to the plate, the shrinking weld on the outside gives clearance.

View attachment 824099
View attachment 824098

You do have to make another fence, I generally use 1/4” plate.

View attachment 824097

The screw at the bottom is to lock it to the plate, like this one.

View attachment 824101

This one is ready for the farm.

View attachment 824096

Vertical bandsaw to port-a-band with one fastener.

Cobbled one together when HF had a sale and made part of the base out of wood so I can set it up on the Rage 3s portable miter saw stand set up so longer pieces of steel can be supported when cutting.

I still have to remove the HF portaband to use the supports for long pieces with the Rage 3 since the portaband has to have the clearance under the table.

Used it today to cut an old track bar into a shorter piece to make a spark plug arbor.

It is Amazing how much use the little porta bands get. Very handy for sure!

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_033238605.jpg
    PXL_20220716_033238605.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20220716_033130517.jpg
    PXL_20220716_033130517.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
   / Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #7  
I haven't used a portable band saw to even know how well they work with or without a stand.

/ Making a port-a-band, a vertical band saw.. #9  
I guess that's why I bought evolution.